Korat-Farang.com

Bus accident in Dan Khun Tod

Anton · 24 · 1055

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
3 killed in bus-truck collision

Three people, including one girl, were killed and about 50 others, most of them are students, were injured when a bus in which they were travelling on a sightseeing trip collided with a pickup truck and skidded out of the road in Dan Khun Thod district of Nakhon Ratchasima on Wednesday (Nov 15).

Thai PBS full report

See also:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWvdm_yYfhQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWvdm_yYfhQ</a>
Village idiots unwelcome here

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Sad!  I came back from Bkk yesterday afternoon/evening and came through a number of heavy storms.  As usual, drivers were speeding past me and we must have seen about 5 or 6 accidents/vehicles in the ditch.  A major one, which I didn't see, but was held up by for an hour was near the traffic lights in Joho just after where the bypass meets Route 2 again.  Must have been a bad one, but there was only one mangled pick-up in the centre by the time we got there.  Lots of ambulances running around.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
collided with a pickup truck and skidded out of the road

A surveillance cam recording of the accident is out. It would seem the bus driver did all by himself, but it's not clear enough.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZzJGWwPDyU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZzJGWwPDyU</a>

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
It was a bus on a school trip. Poor kids. What an end to their day.

Makes you think. My daughter went on a school trip this week. Came home safely, thank goodness. We put our trust in people like bus drivers (and many other people, like barbers with razor blades at our throats) almost daily. You never know what might happen.
'You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!'

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
It was a bus on a school trip.

According to the news they had just visited Wat Ban Rai, we mentioned about it quickly here.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed his sympathy to the families of students killed and injured in a road crash in Nakhon Ratchasima Province. He has instructed the Ministry of Education (MoE) to find measures to regulate drivers and vehicles used for transporting students. (source)

Online dam12641

Predictable response from our glorious leader - call for more regulation, that's what politicians do.
Surely there must be some sort of regulations for bus drivers already so just correct/improve the existing system if possible instead of bringing in another set of regulations and another layer of bureaucracy. No easy solution I guess.

But why is it that Thailand's roads are so dangerous? Are they not the worst (per head of pop) in the world? (or if not the worst, then close to it).
Quite surprising really because Thailand's roads and general driving standards don't seem too bad to me - when compared to other 3rd world countries.
In addition to Thailand I only have experience of India (lived there for 2yrs) and comparing Thailand to Indian driving, Thailand comes out way ahead.
Indian driving standards are so bad that there is no way I ever considered driving there myself whereas in Thailand I have little to no worries.
So why do the Thai accident stats come out so badly?
Other similar countries under-report their accident figures?
Drinking culture in Thailand?
Too many unmarked crossroads? (these always feature heavily in any compilation of accidents)
No idea really. Anyone have any views?

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
But why is it that Thailand's roads are so dangerous?

Maybe this opinion from today's Bangkok Post will partially answer your question:

Don't only blame drivers for road tragedies - Wasant Techawongtham, Bangkok Post 18.11.2017

It gives details about what happened in Dan Khun Tod, too:

Last Wednesday, a double-decker coach carrying more than 50 young students and their teachers hit a pickup truck that was waiting to make a right turn at a T-junction.

The accident occurred on a stretch of highway in Dan Khun Thot district of Nakhon Ratchasima that was recently expanded from two to four lanes.There are no traffic lights at the junction.The section of road on which the coach was travelling was downhill, so the momentum of the speeding vehicle increased the gravity.

Apparently, the front of the pickup truck poked too far into the oncoming lane.

The impact when the coach hit the truck sent the double decker careening over the median, cutting across the opposite lane and ending up in a ditch.

The article's conclusion:

The girl on that coach would not have died if traffic lights and warning signs were there. Many accidents could be avoided if road safety officials pay ­attention to details when building or repairing roads.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I also read the local mayor or whoever, had said there had been several accidents at that junction since the road widening and he would now make it a priority to get new lights installed. How complacent is that? No consideration of cause and effect and no thought whatever of personal responsibility.

I now regard Thailand in many instances as a lawless society - not as in gangs going around terrorising people - but for the example we have here and the many obvious things that should have taken place to ensure this new stretch of road was actually safe before being opened to the general public.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Anton - quoting from the BKK post article - ''Apparently, the front of the pickup truck poked too far into the oncoming lane.'' Isn't that moment of careless driving, the direct cause of the accident ?
So whilst traffic lights and warning signs might have been of help - careless driving might still have caused an accident ?

Dam12641 - interesting to see your views on Thai driving - have a look at 'Motors and Motoring' - 'The Falang view of Thai driving' in April. Good to see you posting !

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Anton - quoting from the BKK post article - ''Apparently, the front of the pickup truck poked too far into the oncoming lane.'' Isn't that moment of careless driving, the direct cause of the accident ?

Why do you ask me? Didn't I indicate the source of the article well enough? Ask Wasant Techawongtham if you want to ask somebody. Or make a general remark. No need to address me in particular, I wasn't waiting for your comment, I didn't post that article just for Sir Roger to honour me with his attention  ::)

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Apparently, the front of the pickup truck poked too far into the oncoming lane.

''Apparently, the front of the pickup truck poked too far into the oncoming lane.'' Isn't that moment of careless driving, the direct cause of the accident ?

I don't know the specifics about that particular turning point but I often travel on Mitrapap Road and there are many junctions where it is difficult or impossible for vehicles to not stick out of one lane or the other (back or front). This is especially so for buses. One example is near the Nava Nakorn industrial area. The road designs could be improved greatly, as could many other things if "deep thinking" became popular in Thailand.

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
Regardless of who stated that the fault was with the road design or the pick up front sticking out....to my mind the only person that was in control of the bus was the bus driver so the fault has to be laid firmly at his feet. He should have been fully aware of the road conditions and his lane being blocked and should have been driving accordingly so however the authorities try to avert the blame it has to be the driver in this particular case.
HL

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Of course the driver has responsibility for the bus, HL, but you can't totally dismiss the part played by poor road design and other road users in road traffic accidents. There will always be driver error but errors in road design can and should be either eliminated or greatly reduced.

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
Alfie there can be no argument about what you say, but, that is generalising.....if we are talking about a specific accident then where ever it took place then the driver should be driving accordingly to the conditions and as he obviouslly wasnt then its his fault alone, unless the pick up involved was still moving and drove into the bus forcing him to swerve.
One interesting point is the bus veered off to the right and across the other carriageway, but if he were taking avoiding action to miss the pickup in the central lane then you would assume he would have pulled to the left to go past, would you not, so maybe there is more to this accident tnah they are letting on.
HL

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
They build roads that are invitations to speeding without the safety measures that go with it. They allow all kind of vehicles in all kind of conditions on the same road. Combine that with drivers without a license, or with a purchased license; drivers drunk; drivers on the phone; drivers who are out only to show off their retouched engine; passengers sitting or standing anywhere on the vehicle... You obtain the deadly cocktail that makes Thailand's roads so dangerous.

if he were taking avoiding action to miss the pickup in the central lane

No, from what I understood the pick-up was coming in from a side road on the left, intending to turn right into the other carriageway:

Last Wednesday, a double-decker coach carrying more than 50 young students and their teachers hit a pickup truck that was waiting to make a right turn at a T-junction.

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
Thank you Anton, i was looking at the T junction the wrong way,yes you are correct.
HL

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
But why is it that Thailand's roads are so dangerous?

According to this report in today's The Nation, Phuket province is on a good path in reducing road accidents:

Phuket has won praise from health and safety agencies for halving the number of road accidents taking place there in the decade ending in 2016.

In the decade previous, 1997-2006, Phuket was among Thailand’s five worst provinces in terms of death and injury resulting from road accidents.

The dramatic reduction in accidents and casualties has been credited to a focus on accident-prone locations (where crashes were cut by 30 per cent), strict law enforcement using speed guns, breathalysers and cameras at intersections (leading to 10 times more drunk drivers arrested in 2016), and an efficient network of multidisciplinary emergency response teams.
(source)

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
They allow all kind of vehicles in all kind of conditions on the same road.

Including those leaking out all of their oil on the road, as happened last night downtown Korat according to this news report. A 200 m tract of Thao Sura Rd had to be closed for cleaning it up after several small accidents occurred, luckily without any fatality. This is near the sharp bend where you take off to Wat Sala Loi: that sharp turn is visible in the background.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vywLcGKa6n8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vywLcGKa6n8</a>

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Thailand tops deadly roads list

BANGKOK, 13 December 2017:  A Thailand foundation battling to reduce road fatalities has called on the government to enforce road safety laws in the lead-up to Christmas and New Year holidays.

Thailand’s Don’t Drink and Drive Foundation, director general, Thaejing Siripanit, told a seminar at the weekend that around 22,000 Thais will die on the roads in 2017 an average of 60 per day, but the daily toll will peak during the New Year holiday.

The foundation wants the government to introduce regulations forcing vehicle owners to install dash cam to record driving habits and bear witness to accidents, as well as shaming dangerous drivers.

Enforcing laws that are already on the books was cited as a priority to reduce deaths. Drunk driving and speeding are the two top causes for Thailand’s shameful road safety statistics. Police are failing to crackdown on speeding and drunk driving, while in the provinces it is common to see, three people on a motorcycle none of them wearing helmets.

The foundation quoted a November 13 World Atlas report on global road fatalities, worldwide, that claimed the latest research placed Thailand top of a 30-country road death list.

But World Atlas was simply borrowing figures from earlier research in 2013 released by the World Health Organisation that clearly placed Thailand as the deadliest spot on earth for road deaths.

WHO’s 2013 figures indicate Thailand topped the list with a 36.2 deaths per 100,000 followed by Malawi with a deadly score of 35.

TTR Weekly full report