Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Free helmet to riders caught without  (Read 218 times)

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Free helmet to riders caught without
« on: December 16, 2017, 10:26:19 PM »

Motorcycle riders caught not wearing a helmet in Korat these days, after being fined for the traffic offence, are being offered to collect a free helmet from the local Red Cross society, according to this news report. Nakhon Ratchasima Province is offering over 2,000 good quality helmets for this initiative. Video uploaded today.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq_4yrAUDi8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq_4yrAUDi8</a>

Village idiots unwelcome here

Alfie

• Forum Guru
Re: Free helmet to riders caught without
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 02:14:28 PM »

A good idea (I suggested it a year or two ago but can't remember if I posted it), or it would be a good idea if they all wore the helmets afterwards. Some will but I'd bet money that many won't. Some might even try to sell the helmets.  :o
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 02:26:02 PM »

How to get them to drive with helmets? IMHO very easy. Police should give each of them a ticket for Thb 200 for driving without a helmet.
Official ticket, not for teamoney. Problem solved in one week but will never happen as police is NOT consistent  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »

How to get them to drive with helmets? IMHO very easy. Police should give each of them a ticket for Thb 200 for driving without a helmet.
Official ticket, not for teamoney. Problem solved in one week but will never happen as police is NOT consistent  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I never understood why they let some people go without helmet, e.g. mothers with their children, while stopping the others. Another thing I don't understand is how come passengers of those sort of side-cars that are mounted on many motorcycles around here, are not required by law to wear a helmet, too.

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »

I never understood why they let some people go without helmet, e.g. mothers with their children, while stopping the others.

Mostly, they only seem to do it on special days, once a year or something like that. When the boss tells them to do it I suppose. The rest of the time they ignore it. There are no (or very few) traffic cops in Thailand so people do what they want.

One place this year that I have seen cops on several occassions have a road stop aimed at motorcyclists is on the west side of the city, past Save One, on the "Frontage Road". I don't know what they focus on though; helmets, licences or drinking.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 09:37:13 PM »

I never understood why they let some people go without helmet, e.g. mothers with their children, while stopping the others.

Mostly, they only seem to do it on special days, once a year or something like that.

Yes, mostly. But also policemen who patrol traffic lights at important crossings, regularly, often stop those riders they see waiting in line without a helmet. I witnessed it several times at the Bangkok Hospital traffic light, for example. That's also where I see them acting strict against young riders, in particular students, while pretending they don't see family groups of two or more riders including at least one child.

It seems there was also a national plan to start confiscating motorcycles of riders caught without a helmet, but apparently it has been abandoned, see this report:

Police Do A U-Turn On Helmets And Riding In The Back Of Pickups - Buriram Times 19.12.2017

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 03:00:11 PM »

When I lived in Korat, I saw plenty of Police checks. 'Helmetless' motor bike riders seemed to be the target and fines were being rendered - mainly bemused youths as victims.

If the Police have helmets to spare, by all means give 'em away, but riders won't necassarily wear them without enforcement.

It's a difficult issue to tackle - family groups with children and babes in arms ? Also, if helmets are required on motorbikes, why indeed not require the same of loose passengers in the back of pick-ups ? Getting tough on these fronts will always be presented as targeting the poor and the Police U-turn in Buriram shows - real enforcement of better safety standards will be some time in coming . . . Meantime, deaths and injuries due to motor bike accidents will continue at the present terrible level.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:14:24 PM by Roger »
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein
Pages: [1]