Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In memory of Steen, The Odd Viking. You will be sadly missed. Our sincere condolences to Steen's family and friends. 

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flights - Korat-Bangkok  (Read 690 times)

Alfie

• Forum Lover
Flights - Korat-Bangkok
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:24:44 PM »

I don't know if has been posted elsewhere on the forum but if not, here's some news. New Gen airways are to start flights from Korat to Bangkok (Don Mueang) and back but only once a week.

Korat to Bangkok on Mondays, departing at 19.00.
Bangkok to Korat on Fridays, departing at 05.30.

www.newgenairways.com

I can't for the life of me work out who they are aiming their flights at with those times and days. Bangkokians spending a long-weekend in Korat? Koratians who only work 3 days a week in Bangkok?

The price seems reasonable. According to www.krobkruakao.com, tickets will cost 499 baht.
Nil carborundum illegentium est

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Forumphile
Re: Flights - Korat-Bangkok
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 10:15:21 PM »

I don't know if has been posted elsewhere on the forum

I mentioned quickly about it two days ago, see here. In that news report they say the ticket is 499 THB.
Village idiots unwelcome here

caller

• Solid Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »

Maybe it was the only slots available at Bangkok?

Taking into account the check-in time, plus reclaiming any luggage, then having to get to wherever you want to go to in Bangkok, plus any cost associated with that, albeit the airfare being reasonable if not taking the family, I'm not convinced about the appeal of this flight?

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »

I agree with that Caller - and don't forget the journey times out of Korat, in the wrong direction, to get to Korat airport in the first place. Surely this flight would only make sense to make or meet another flight connection out of Don Mueang - but given the infrequency, it doesn't look like a winner on that account either . . . 

Better than nothing maybe  ???
A start before moving onto greater things  :-\

Herbie

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 03:19:12 PM »

It seems like 100 years ago, but in reality only about 15. I remember checking in at Korat airport on Thai Airways. A quick change of plane at Don Muang and not seeing my bags again until I took them off the carousel at Heathrow. That was worthwhile.

nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Solid Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »

It seems like 100 years ago, but in reality only about 15. I remember checking in at Korat airport on Thai Airways. A quick change of plane at Don Muang and not seeing my bags again until I took them off the carousel at Heathrow. That was worthwhile.
Was that not when Thai flew into the airforce base on Highway 304?
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »

Nookie I don't know about the past, but that would make sense to try again - so central to Korat City. Brymon Airways in the UK used RAF St Mawgan (Newquay) to fy to LHR and LGW daily when they started up. The terminal was a Portakabin. An excellent arrangement IMO. Flybe and others still use it. Quite busy now I believe.

Herbie

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »

I'm fairly sure that my transfer was through Don Muang. There was a period when U-Tapao was used by Thai, I think during the period after Thaksin left office and there were difficulties at BKK.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Forumphile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »

I'm fairly sure that my transfer was through Don Muang. There was a period when U-Tapao was used by Thai, I think during the period after Thaksin left office and there were difficulties at BKK.

I think Nookie was asking you what Korat airport did you check in at: the civilian one or the military one?

Herbie

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 06:10:39 AM »

I think Nookie was asking you what Korat airport did you check in at: the civilian one or the military one?
Sorry, it was too long ago and before I moved to Korat. I only realised that there was an airport here shortly before we bought the tickets.

Robert

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 06:50:03 AM »

Nookie I don't know about the past, but that would make sense to try again - so central to Korat City. Brymon Airways in the UK used RAF St Mawgan (Newquay) to fy to LHR and LGW daily when they started up. The terminal was a Portakabin. An excellent arrangement IMO. Flybe and others still use it. Quite busy now I believe.

Hi Roger,

allthough I could understand why to use Wing 1 I still would like to object. Already too much flying during daytime (and sometime in the evening) by the fighter jets taking off. Including commercial airlines to use airport also will cause too much noise for this area.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 08:33:33 AM »

Hi Robert. I understand, but the passenger jets are not as noisy as the fighters taking off ? Go on - say just 6 take off's a day - OK ?
But you know, if someone decided that's the way to go - it'll happen despite the noise.
Noise is not a matter of sensitivity in Th., often. ATB

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Forumphile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »

allthough I could understand why to use Wing 1 I still would like to object. Already too much flying during daytime (and sometime in the evening) by the fighter jets taking off. Including commercial airlines to use airport also will cause too much noise for this area.

The solution is under everybody's eyes, but as long nobody cries out loudly enough nothing will change.

Robert

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 01:46:19 PM »

The solution is under everybody's eyes, but as long nobody cries out loudly enough nothing will change.

Anton,

solution could be changing airports? This will never happen.

By the way does anybody knows a website where I can check rates? The NewGen website gives a lot of info but no booking facilities or I may have overlooked.

Robert

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »

Hi Robert. I understand, but the passenger jets are not as noisy as the fighters taking off ? Go on - say just 6 take off's a day - OK ?
But you know, if someone decided that's the way to go - it'll happen despite the noise.
Noise is not a matter of sensitivity in Th., often. ATB

I would swap commercial planes for fighter planes any day. This because fighter planes also make low fly-overs in this area. They also use the swimming pool in The Mall to find the airport back, haha.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Forumphile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »

solution could be changing airports?

That would be the top but without going that far, they could at least (1) move the periodical exercises out to Chaloem Phra Kiat and (2) open the military airport to civilian flights, especially if that already happened in the past as Nookie says. That would give at least some more chances of survival to civilian airlines willing to serve Korat.

Pompui

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »

From what I remember, the reason for building the new airport was that the Air Force no longer wanted commercial airlines (Thai with 1 flight per day) using its airport and cited security reasons. I used the new airport a couple of times as the connections to the UK were good with Thai at Don Muang and the girlfriend at the time lived in Konburi. I believe passenger numbers dropped sharply after the move to the new airport and hence Thai stopped its service.
Live like you are dying

waterheart

• Solid Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 01:08:08 PM »

This is new schedule of Newgen Airways.
There is no flight to Phuket.

Robert

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 01:35:09 PM »

With these flightschedules it will not last long before they will stop their services all together. No way to make a profit IMHO.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »

Waterheart thanks. Robert - I agree.
NewGen are quite a big oufit - perhaps they're just having a look at the possibilities in Korat atm.

That's a 3 day, Fri, Sat, Sun service from Korat to Chiang Mai and return.
NewGen bring the plane up from BKK on Friday morning at 05.30 and return to BKK Sunday afternoon - having done 3 Chiang Mai returns.

So ONE flight a week Korat to BKK - OK for those going to BKK for a week's work - get there Sun evening. But I can't see many catching the 05.30 to Korat on Fridays !  ???

It seems potty to lay the plane up in Korat at 11.55 am daily  ??? Good luck NewGen !
Pages: [1] 2