Korat-Farang.com

Christmas dinner in Korat this year?

Alfie · 17 · 625

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Are there any restaurants doing Christmas dinner in Korat this year?

I heard the George and Dragon are having a Christmas meal this weekend (Saturday?). Is aywhere else? This weekend would be preferred for me but another day might be OK. What do you know of?
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Alfie, that might be a good meal at the G & D  :D  maybe Korat Chef are involved ? Backawhile Korat Chef did excellent Xmas dinners at Briony's Sports Bar.

Good luck. I would have to travel 180 km to Pattaya for an Xmas lunch - so it'll be Steak and Chips with wine and Friends at 'Steve's' Laem Sing, this year. HX & HNY.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
What do you know of?

Kantary hotel: I know they'll have one but I don't know any details about it. Their phone number: 044353011-2
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
I think Koratchef is doing Xmas dinner at the G&D everyday until New Year.

Here are some others I found.

The Kantarry is having an Xmas dinner on Sunday 24th.....

Menu: Traditional turkey and baked ham, sirloin steaks, legs of lam, seafood and salmon with Christmas pudding for afters. You will also get a complimentary glass of sparkling wine and giveaways, as well as Christmas carols sung by a local choir and a chocolate pralines to take home.

Price: 790 Baht per head (children under 12 eat half price)

​​Reservations: 044353011​

Sima Thani Hotel

Premier Cellar, the steak house of Sima Thani Hotel on the ground floor (entry via Buffet Restaurant Nai Ruen) is offering a Christmas Eve and New Years Eve Set Menu with a 7 course menu for 1,950 Baht per person, a 5 course menu for 1,450 Baht per person or a 3 course menu for 950 Baht per person.
Menu: Imported steaks, homemade soups, salads, western desserts and Christmas cookies.

Book your table in the Sima Thani Hotel or call to get your table reserved: 044213100

O&D Pub - Christmas Eve Sunday 24th December

Buffet Dinner Menu: roast pork dinner, meat loaf filled with spinach cheese, chicken thighs in paprika curry sauce, salad, vegetables, roast potatoes and more + 5 Thai dishes
Price: 360 Baht
Reservations: 0874573998

Chez Andy Swiss Restaurant & Steak House

Christmas Eve Sunday 24th December & Christmas Day Monday 25th December

Menu: Duck and chicken liver terrine with Cumberland sauce, consommé soup with sherry, feuilleton with parmesan, deep fried fillet of fish with tartare sauce and parsley potatoes, refreshing mango sherbet with peppermint liqueur

Black Angus beef tenderloin “Bordelaise” with beef marrow in red wine sauce or
Pork steak with mushroom sauce and a bouquet of vegetables served with noodles

Assorted cheese platter with fruit, crackers and dark bread, vanilla ice cream topped with hot berries, cookies, coffee or tea, Swiss pear schnapps

Price per person: 1,300 Baht (Chez Andy members' discount: 990 Baht - sign up for the card to get the discount)

New Year's Eve Sunday 31st December @ 7:00pm

New Year's All You Can Eat Barbecue Menu: Spare ribs, kebab skewers with chicken/pork/beef/vegetables, pork/beef/chicken steaks, lamb chops, a variety of sausages, potato gratin, baked potatoes, vegetables, salad buffet, dessert and Swiss cheese

Price: 350 Baht

Please reserve you table in advance: 044289556
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Derek, the Kantary lunch looks great and the spread at Chez Andy wonderful and probably worth the extra cost. Wish I was there !
The Xmas dinner at the G & D should be spot on if KC are doing it.

The largest Hotels here, Maneechan Resort and KP Grande have nothing at all.  :'(
Christmas is about the only time of year I miss the UK. Or Korat.

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
Derek, the Kantary lunch looks great and the spread at Chez Andy wonderful and probably worth the extra cost. Wish I was there !
The Xmas dinner at the G & D should be spot on if KC are doing it.

The largest Hotels here, Maneechan Resort and KP Grande have nothing at all.  :'(
Christmas is about the only time of year I miss the UK. Or Korat.

I agree Roger both Kantary and Chez Andy look very good indeed.

And as you rightly say KC's dinner at the G&D will be excellent too.

Have a Cool Yule ;D

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
Not Xmas dinner but Christmasy nonetheless...

Christmas Karaoke Competition @ Monkey Bar

The Monkey Bar will be holding a Christmas Karaoke Competition on Saturday 23rd of December. The competition will be open to anyone and competitors can sing any song they like not just Christmas songs so if singing (or just trying to sing) in front of friends and strangers is your thing then this could be a perfect night for you.

There will be prizes for the best female and male entrants along with prizes for worst performance and anything else the Bars Monkeys can think of. Prizes which will include bottles of whisky, rounds of shots, etc. etc.

If your interested in taking part contact the bar before hand to book your place or just turn up on the night and speak to one of the members of staff who will ask you your song choices and inform you of when it's your turn.

Sounds like a good night and a well organised karaoke evening is always entertaining, with the usual mix of really good singers and some shockers thrown in for good measure.

Monkey Bar Info

The Monkey Bar is open every day from 9:30am till midnight.

Address: 423/425 Suranaree Road, Nai Muang, Korat, 30000 (opposite Siripatana Hotel underneath World Snooker)

They also have a FB page...

https://www.facebook.com/monkeybarkorat

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Korat Chef menu at the George & Dragon

One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
You have to wonder why a couple of days before the event, folk are still wondering what's available? Say's a lot for the advertising in these places.

Here in Hua Hin, the main English butcher cooks everything for you and you go and collect. That includes all the trimmings and gravy. You are just left to do the tatties and veg.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
You have to wonder why a couple of days before the event, folk are still wondering what's available?

In Alfie's case, perhaps because he lives some 60 km out of the city?
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Thanks for the info, chaps. The Korat Chef meal at the G & D looks good for me. What's their policy with children? Are they allowed in? (10 years old?) And will booking be required?

And is there a set time for the meals? Or is it continuous? (whenever you order, any time of day or night?)

Offline dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
Thanks for the info, chaps. The Korat Chef meal at the G & D looks good for me. What's their policy with children? Are they allowed in? (10 years old?) And will booking be required?

And is there a set time for the meals? Or is it continuous? (whenever you order, any time of day or night?)

I think the answer is a yes to children as I have taken my similarly aged son there before.

As for booking I would say not necessary and I think you can go whenever you want but for peace of mind you can call them on 085 076 9708

Have a Cool Yule Alfie :D

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Thanks, Derek.

The weather is certainly right for it to be a Cool Yule this year. :)

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
I guess i can understand that because the Korat Chef is almost next door to the G&D then people may relate one with the other but i can assure you that Steve from Korat Chef has no input whatsoever into the xmas dinners that the G&D is serving, except where certain items used have been purchased from him.
Also it is a bit of a dis-service to the kitchen staff of the G&D who i believe do a very good job and serve an admirable xmas dinner. (I have not tried myself but from heresay).
However having said that and put you all straight, please carry on and try the meal and give your comments on here afterwards for all our interest.
HL. Merry Xmas

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Hello HL - I think that was my question first re. KC (who did do Xmas food at Briony's Sports Bar and the old Check Inn). Sounds good anyway - I've had a Sunday roast at the G&D and it was pretty good ! Thanks for the info. and enjoy ! ATB
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 05:21:25 AM by Roger »

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Thanks for the info, HL. It explains a lot. (I was fooled by Roger's and Jivvy's posts.) I went there today. We were all full from the meal. Good portions of the main dish and I'm glad we went but to be honest, if it were a Korat Chef meal, I would have expected much better, but as it wasn't a KC meal, all I can do is appreciate the G&D made the effort to provide a Christmas dinner, so thanks for that, G&D.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Alfie admittedly my question proved to be a red herring, quote ''maybe KC are involved ?''
KC's efforts years ago at Briony's were momentous IMO. But well done the G&D.
I'm already drooling for reports from the Kantary and Andee's !