Korat-Farang.com

What’s the score these days with TOFL work in Korat?

joefarang · 5 · 216

Offline joefarang

Hi, it’s been a long while since I was on this page as for the last 3 years my family and I have been in the Uk. We are now planning to return to Thailand and Korat province and I am considering the idea of trying to do some teaching work.
What is the current situation regarding opportunities for TOFL certified native English speakers getting work in Korat city these days?

I’ve had a glance at the business and employment page and don’t see much on there - is there really nothing going?

Any information or ideas gratefully received.

Wishing all Korat residents a Happy New Year!

Joefarang

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
My grandson has been teaching here (not in Korat) for about 6 years, but 2 years ago he got fed up with all the hassle and insecurity involved with only having a TEFL qualification, so started teaching on-line.  he now has two separate contracts which keep him busy, but he is far better paid than he ever was before.  (It also doesn't matter where you are based!)  If you only have a TEFL qualification I would seriously investigate teaching on line.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I am considering the idea of trying to do some teaching work.
What is the current situation regarding opportunities for TOFL certified native English speakers getting work in Korat city these days?

Hi Joe, welcome back. There won't be many teaching jobs going at this time of year. Start looking in March for a May start. There are a couple of websites that focus on teaching jobs in Thailand. Here's one below. You can filter the jobs for Korat.

https://www.ajarn.com/recruitment/browse_jobs/index.html

Another one is: https://www.esljobfeed.com/feedviewer/thailand

By the way, "TOFL certified"? Really? Is that an error? Whatever it is, you won't need it but legally you should have a degree (in any subject).
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline joefarang

Guys thanks for your replies - interesting!

I am degree qualified from the UK(B.Sc Zoology), but I have no English teaching qualification.

When I said TOFL what I meant was teaching of English as a foreign language - ie me as a native English speaker teaching it to Thais.  I’ve seen various places in the UK offering certification in this area.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I am degree qualified from the UK(B.Sc Zoology), but I have no English teaching qualification.

An English teaching qualification is a good thing to have, not because of the piece of paper (legally you're not required to have one), but becasue of what you'll learn on the course. If you really want to teach, I'd recommend taking a course.

When I said TOFL what I meant was teaching of English as a foreign language - ie me as a native English speaker teaching it to Thais.  I’ve seen various places in the UK offering certification in this area.

That's what I thought. The acronym used is usually TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) but there are others. I've never heard of or seen TOFL used (TOEFL is something different entirely).

Good luck.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.