Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Driving licence applicants must show medical certificate  (Read 667 times)

Alfie

• Forum Lover
Driving licence applicants must show medical certificate
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:52:29 PM »

BANGKOK, 4th March 2018 (NNT) – The new transport regulation requiring applicants for driving licence to show medical certificate has taken effect since March 1.

Land Transport Department Director General Sanit Phromwong disclosed that from March 1 onward, driving licence applicants are required to submit a medical certificate together with their application form.

He said this is to verify that the applicants are physically and mentally fit to handle motor vehicles without endangering other motorists.

The medical certificate must comply with the standards of the Medical Council of Thailand that was set out in 2008 for all medical practitioners in the country and must be issued within one month before the submission of the application for driving licence.

The certificate comprises two parts: the first part is for the applicants to self-certify their health with details of medical history, personal medical conditions and accident records along with records of medical operations if any.

The second part of the certificate applies to the physicians who must certify that the applicant is medically healthy and is physically fit to handle motorized vehicles, have no mental disorders, no record of addiction and not a chronic alcoholic.

NNT
http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNSOC6103040010038
Nil carborundum illegentium est

Alfie

• Forum Lover
Re: Driving licence applicants must show medical certificate
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:59:58 PM »

I wonder if the health restrictions announced in December last year still stand. See John Doe's thread for details.

http://korat-farang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9417.0
Nil carborundum illegentium est

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 03:54:37 PM »

I'd first try picking up a 40 Baht special at the local clinic. If you can stand up you get the Certificate ! My Missis renewed a few months ago and the 40 Baht special was fine. Took 2 minutes.

But the Regs on the John Doe thread look a bit daunting  :(
Will theses Regs BITE ??

Many Falangs will be in difficulty when the Doc has to certify, ''not a chronic alcoholic''.  ;)
Just joking there Guys . .

rawdonlad

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 09:50:08 PM »

It will be interesting to see what happens if anything. I renewed my Thai licence last year and had got a medical certificate which my wife sorted out as I sat outside, never saw anyone but still got a letter saying I was all fit and healthy. This is in contrast to my British licence which was renewed last week for another year following a half hour medical at the doctors, letters from consultants and numerous forms which I have to do each year due to my many medical conditions.

Herbie

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 07:12:28 PM »

I've just obtained my 3rd 5 year licence at the Joho office.
I went to Immigration at about 10.45 am for the residency certificate. Two photos required and two copies of passport, house book and house owners id card. One copy they keep; the other copy goes in the pack we give to the licencing office. I only had one copy, but there is a copier nearby. The fee 500bt. (I'm not complaining).
This only took about 30 minutes. On the way home I went into the Licensing office and showed them the pack. No medical certificate was required and I was signed up for the 1pm intake. I went through the tests, colour blindness, peripheral vision, reaction time and depth perception as I did last time. The lady conducting the tests was very helpful and encouraged me to watch closely what the person in front of me was doing. The depth perception test is a bit tricky. After all that, the video. Unlike 5 years ago, it had English subtitles. Back to the office to pay the 555bt and get my licence. All over by 2.30pm. All set for another 5 years.
PS. I renewed about 6 weeks early. The lady on the information desk said you can renew up to 3 months early.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:41:17 AM by Herbie »

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 06:26:14 AM »

Thanks Herbie. You say, ''No medical certificate was required''.
I'm guessing this was an oversight on the day and also, that a B40 special as described by Rawdon, ''my wife sorted (it) out as I sat outside'', would have sufficed in any event.

No sign yet of the new regulation requiring a more comprehensive certificate Alfie posted about - requiring an assertion that the applicant has, ''no mental disorders, no record of addiction and (is) not a chronic alcoholic''.

Phew  ;)

Herbie

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:04:13 AM »

I went in last week and specifically asked about the medical and they said no. But as we know, requirements can change. I always check in advance.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:17:15 AM by Herbie »

Kev

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »

I went to Immigration at about 10.45 am for the residency certificate. Two photos required and two copies of passport, house book and house owners id card. One copy they keep; the other copy goes in the pack we give to the licencing office. I only had one copy, but there is a copier nearby. The fee 500bt. (I'm not complaining).
Just a question, if my name is on the house book and I have a 60 visa in my passport do I still need to go to Immigration for a residency certificate?

Herbie

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »

Just a question, if my name is on the house book and I have a 60 visa in my passport do I still need to go to Immigration for a residency certificate?
Sorry Kev, I can't help. I'm not on the book.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 12:44:09 PM »

Surely if your name is in a House book, a Residency Certificate would not be needed ?
Someone can confirm ?

rdrokit

• Rokits Pictures
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 09:54:43 AM »

Surely if your name is in a House book, a Residency Certificate would not be needed ?
Someone can confirm ?
Never heard of a foreigners name in a green house book but a foreigner can get a yellow book and in that case would not need a certificate of residency from Thai Immigration.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 11:54:49 AM »

Agreed RDRO.

Kev

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »

Cheers thanks gents, my wife saids we can add my name to her house book next holidays. They were going to do it when we registered our Aussie marriage in Chaiyaphum a couple of years ago but I said don't bother at the time.

happylarry

• Solid Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 02:04:08 PM »

The housebook is blue, and no farang can have their name added to it unless they are one of the very few who have acheived permanent residency.
HL

happylarry

• Solid Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 02:11:18 PM »

Hopefully this will make it a bit easier to understand:-
The sole reason for the blue house book is for the government to keep a tally on the amount of people in the country.
Any farangs that are on a visa and have to report to immigration on a regular basis are thus accounted for and therefore are not required or allowed to be in the blue book.
Any farangs that have acheived permanent residency thereby not needing a visa or indeed any further dealings with immigration can then be added to a blue book in order to be counted.
I think that makes a bit of sense anyway.....lol
HL

farangkorat

• Just Arrived
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »

If you have a yellow housebook and a pink ID you do not need a residency certificate.
Medical certificate as i know you do not need for 5 years extencion.
If you go a few days after your birthday you will get nearly one year more on your drivers licence.
(I just don't drive for a few days as i would not be insured...)

ridge runner

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »

Did my new 5 year on the 14th, no medical certificate required. just the movie/a guy talking for about an hour and the reaction tests plus color(red, green and yellow). be mid 70's next time.

Hector

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 05:15:55 PM »

Just renewed my 5 year driving licence for the third time.  Not much to add to previous posts, but just to let people know what was required from me:
My expiring licence
Residency certificate from Immigration
Passport and copies of:
   details page,
   current visa page
   last entry into LoS page
   TM6 page  (As these were all attached to the cert from Immigration they didn't want further copies.)
They did not want a copy of my last licence or any sort of medical certificate.
Colour, coord and reaction physical tests as others have said.
Watched the excruciating boring video, which was about as much use as a box of chocolate teaspoons!
Paid 555 Baht (5 for paper, 50 for plastic licence card and 500 fee)
In at 0930 out at 1200.  As exciting as watching paint dry, but quite efficient really.
Good to go for another 5 years!

rdrokit

• Rokits Pictures
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »

Just renewed my 5 year driving licence for the third time.  Not much to add to previous posts, but just to let people know what was required from me:
My expiring licence
Residency certificate from Immigration
Passport and copies of:
   details page,
   current visa page
   last entry into LoS page
   TM6 page  (As these were all attached to the cert from Immigration they didn't want further copies.)
They did not want a copy of my last licence or any sort of medical certificate.
Colour, coord and reaction physical tests as others have said.
Watched the excruciating boring video, which was about as much use as a box of chocolate teaspoons!
Paid 555 Baht (5 for paper, 50 for plastic licence card and 500 fee)
In at 0930 out at 1200.  As exciting as watching paint dry, but quite efficient really.
Good to go for another 5 years!

TM6? Isn't a TM6 an Arrival form?

Hector

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 04:11:41 PM »

Yup!
Pages: [1]