Korat-Farang.com

Rabies

Alfie · 21 · 2863

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Nakhon Ratchasima speeds up rabies vaccination following outbreaks

Nakhon Ratchasima province has declared nine districts rabies-control zones and speeded up vaccinations in all 32 districts, a senior official said on Wednesday.

Nakhon Ratchasima chief livestock officer Pasawee Somjai said stray dogs in nine districts had tested positive for rabies, resulting in the districts being declared control zones. The nine districts are Muang, Jakkarat, None Sung, Soengsang, Ban Luam, Kham Thalay Sor, Kham Sakae Saeng, Sida and Bua Lai. He said the Nakhon Ratchasima Livestock Office had decided to vaccinate stray animals in all 32 districts to minimise the chances of more outbreaks.

He said his office had trained about 670 volunteers to help to vaccinate stray dogs and cats as well as pets. The office hopes to vaccinate at least 80 per cent of the animal population in the province, he added.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30340394

Offline StephenP

Nakhon Ratchasima speeds up rabies vaccination following outbreaks

He said his office had trained about 670 volunteers to help to vaccinate stray dogs and cats as well as pets. The office hopes to vaccinate at least 80 per cent of the animal population in the province, he added.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30340394

Instead of vaccinating stray dogs and cats they should euthanise them.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
^ I agree, but they won't do that unfortunately.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk66zXaTSlE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk66zXaTSlE</a>

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
This interactive map shows where incidents of rabies have been found.

http://www.thairabies.net/reportmap/gis.aspx

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Alfie. Any idea what the yellow, blue, red and brown dots might signify ? It looks like the North East and Bangkok are very much the worst areas ?

Stephen P - I agree with you. Time for Thailand to face up to it's problems with stray dogs! In the area around Chantaburi - sometimes you see packs of 6 or more dogs just wandering loose.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Alfie. Any idea what the yellow, blue, red and brown dots might signify ?

Yes. They indicate different years. Click on the link, see the map, then you can select years to look at (top right hand corner of map). The last 4 years are shown as default: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017. Uncheck as desired.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Thanks Alfie. That's 2017 red, 2016 yellow, 2015 brown, 2014 blue.

BKK, Korat and areas East of Korat seem the worst each year.

I remember 'Old Yeller'  :-[

Carry a stick when walking ?
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline woolleyman

• Greetings from the Woolleyman
Good idea to carry a stick but did not do me any good. Out for a walk the other day (with a stick) when attacked from behind without warning by a dog  who gave me a painful bite on my lower leg. To hospital for tetanus and rabies injections. Change of dressings every day and more injections. Cost so far approaching 20,000 baht. It is a real worry with so may dogs roaming around the place, some with owners and others who have owners who obviously keep them under no control whatsoever.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Woolley sorry to hear that. Painful AND expensive.
Gotta watch the little buggers !! TCOY

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
News for Caller...

Rabies red alert in part of Hua Hin

16 March 2018

Part of the tourist district of Hua Hin has been declared a red rabies zone after an elderly man was found to have died from the viral disease after being infected by a cat bite. Dr Surin Suebsueng, health chief of Prachuap Khiri Khan, said the 61-year-old man was bitten by a cat two months ago and had not sought vaccination afterwards. He died at Hua Hin Hospital on Wednesday night.

Samples of the dead's hair, saliva, faeces and cerebrospinal fluid were tested and results were known on Thursday evening. He had been infected with rabies.

An epidemic zone is declared when a disease is transmitted from animal to human and causes death, in this case rabies.

People who had been bitten or even scratched and licked by a mammal must be vaccinated, without waiting for it to be proven a carrier, he said. There were ample supplies of the vaccine.

"Do not assume you are not infected because rabies can remain in a human body for six months to a year. All infected patients die. There is no cure," Dr Surin said.

The 61-year-old man was identified as Prasit Boonkerd, of Ban Nong Khon village, tambon Hin Lek Fai in Hua Hin district.

In January a cat bit his hand and he did not get a vaccination. He was recently admitted to hospital with a suspected rabies infection, having difficulty swallowing. He had not a fever. The cat died shortly after biting him.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1429466/rabies-red-alert-in-part-of-hua-hin

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Rabies claims another life

March 19, 2018

Rabies has claimed another life in Buriram province on Sunday, bringing death toll to six this year.

According to the Ministry of Public Health, the latest victim to rabies was a patient in Buriram who died yesterday.

It said rabies outbreak now spreads in 24 provinces since January this year.

They include Bangkok, Surin, Chonburi, Samut Prakan, Chachoengsao, Nan, Buriram, Ubon Ratchathani, Chiang Rai, Roi Et, Songkhla, Rayong, Tak and Srisaket.

Rabies outbreak in 13 provinces claimed 14 lives last year, up from 11 in 2016.

Thai PBS

Offline TheOddViking

• RIP. Gone but never forgotten
I'm having my dog (re)vaccinated tomorrow. Last time was 5 year ago. Two visits at the vet is required at 60 Baht a shot.

Back in Europe they would first check the blood to see if she's still protected. Here they skip that part and give a new shot no matter what.

Anyway, it's very little to pay to have your dog protected. I she just would stop screaming while it goes on!!!

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Seventh casualty from rabies reported

28 March 2018

Disease Control Department Deputy Director-General, Dr. Assadang Ruayarjin, said that the seventh casualty this year from rabies was in Phattalung province after a 39 year old man told physicians on March 23 he had been scratched by a puppy over a month prior and ultimately passed away on March 25. So far however, the number of fatalities from the disease has yet to reach last year’s tally of 11 people.

Thailand's Livestock Department has reported it has vaccinated close to 4 million dogs and cats across the country amidst continued campaigning for pet owners to have their animals vaccinated against rabies.

More here: http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNSOC6103280010022

Eleven fatalities last year. Seven fatalities so far this year and it's still only March.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Reports of rabies-infected dogs, cat and crossbreed pig in Korat

May 06, 2018

Livestock chief Wimut Thanuthamnok said on Sunday that rabies-hit dogs have been found in many areas of Muang district of Nakhon Ratchasima province. “In one area, rabies infection was confirmed in the case of a pig and in another area, rabies was found to have infected a cat,” he added, advising animal owners to quickly clean the wound if their animals suffered dog bites.  “Following the cleaning, take it to the vet and monitor it for at least 10 days,” he said.

Livestock Development Department’s acting director general Soravit Thanito confirmed that a crossbreed animal, born from a boar and a pig, died of rabies on April 13 in Muang district. “Its owner said a stray dog bit it in the neck before it succumbed,” Soravit said. He said detailed test showed the five-month-old crossbreed was infected with rabies.  The owner does not have any other pigs.  “No one has seen that stray dog. But there’s no report that it bit other victims,” Soravit said. 

Following the death of the crossbreed pig, authorities vaccinated all dogs and cats within a kilometre radius.

The Nation
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30344717

Ratsima

Good idea to carry a stick but did not do me any good. Out for a walk the other day (with a stick) when attacked from behind without warning by a dog  who gave me a painful bite on my lower leg. To hospital for tetanus and rabies injections. Change of dressings every day and more injections. Cost so far approaching 20,000 baht. It is a real worry with so may dogs roaming around the place, some with owners and others who have owners who obviously keep them under no control whatsoever.

I can’t understand how this cost so much. I got bit a year ago while in Cha Am. I had the initial treatment and rabies shot at the Cha Am hospital. The initial fee was 1400 baht. I got the second shot there for 950 baht. I got two more shots in Korat, one of which was free (the fifth and final) and the other cost 340 baht. The fourth and most expensive shot was at the Don Muang airport clinic for 1100 baht. My total cost for all treatment and all five shots was 3800 baht. (Just checked my insurance claim.)

Online Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Solid Member
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
There are reports that suggest deaths due to Rabies are significantly higher this year. This is something that has directly-impacted at least one of our forum members to my knowledge.

There is a website, but it appears to be in Thai only. Perhaps someone with a partner with Thai/English proficiency would summarise the essential points?

http://www.thairabies.net/trn/Default_Main.aspx

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
From Thai Visa today
 HUMAN death toll from rabies in Thailand has soared to 17 so far this year – 54 per cent higher than last year – as poor quality vaccines and a vaccine shortage have hampered efforts to curb the incurable disease.

Dr Thiravat Hemachudha, head of the Emerging Infectious Disease Health Science Centre at Chulalong-korn University’s Faculty of Medicine, said that efforts to control the disease this year have been ineffective.

The number of rabies fatalities so far this year has already exceeded the 11 total cases from all of 2017, he noted.

“After the news about major rabies outbreaks earlier this year faded from public attention, many people thought that the problem was solved but many parts of Thailand are still ravaged by rabies outbreaks and the number of preventable deaths from rabies is continuing to rise.”

He said that though the number of samples from suspected dogs and cats that are found to be “rabies-positive” continued to decrease, this is not proof that rabies infection rates have lowered.

There are many potentially infected animals out there that have not been tested for rabies, he said.

Rabies control is also being obstructed by problems with vaccinations. Many local administrative organisations do not have sufficient quantities of standardised vaccines to immunise the local dog and cat population, resulting in efforts to stop the outbreak taking longer or even failing. “I have been informed by many officers in local administrative organisations that as of now, they have not received the new 10 million lots of imported rabies vaccines that Livestock Development had promised to distribute to the entire nation earlier this year. They were forced to use old vaccines to immunise local dogs and cats,” Thiravat said.

“Furthermore, it was also found that many rabies vaccines for animals were poor quality.” The potential side effects could concern pet owners and prevent them from protecting their pets with a rabies vaccination, Thiravat said.

The problems this year are caused by agencies failing to perform their duties, he said. Instead of admitting their shortcomings and asking for assistance, they keep insisting that the situation is under control.

He called on Livestock Development and the Food and Drug Administration to admit their inability and get help and to genuinely tackle the rabies outbreak.

But Wiriya Kaewthong, the director of the Livestock Development Depart-ment’s Disease Control and Veterinary Services Bureau, said the vaccine problems are not solely the responsibility of his department. He said the Livestock Development and Local Administra-tion Department also shares the duty of vaccinating dogs and cats.

“Livestock Development is responsible for only purchasing vaccines to immunise a million dogs and cats, while the remaining 9 million vaccines are the duty of the Local Administration Department to procure to vaccinate dogs and cats,” Wiriya said.

“We also ensure that every vaccine imported by Livestock Development is of a high quality, but these vaccines may have some side-effects to a very few pets that are allergic to the vaccine.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30352154

One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Offline dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
There are reports that suggest deaths due to Rabies are significantly higher this year. This is something that has directly-impacted at least one of our forum members to my knowledge.

There is a website, but it appears to be in Thai only. Perhaps someone with a partner with Thai/English proficiency would summarise the essential points?

http://www.thairabies.net/trn/Default_Main.aspx

Right click on the page you want translated and click on the Translate to English option.

This works with Google Chrome not sure if this option is available in other browsers.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the forum member affected.

I was bitten by a cat a few years back and they had the anti rabies vaccine at my local rural hospital. If I recall correctly I had 4 injections over the course of a month.

No idea if the cat had rabies but I wasn't taking any chances.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
In Jivvy's link they report 17 deaths, 54% up on last year. Of course that matters, but the numbers are quite low compared to say road deaths or hospital acquired infections.

Not yet an epidemic. But these days you can have a routine course of 4 or 5 injections after a bite and there used to be a 10x volume gamma globulin that could be injected right under the wound inside 10 days. And dogs and cats should be injected as a preventative every year as we know.

Some of our terror of rabies comes from Disney's 'Old Yeller' classic. In those days, the protocol was to confine the biting animal for 10 days to see if rabies symptoms were displayed - then, a 6'' needle into the victim's stomach with a vaccine and a 50% side effect of brain damage - thankfully things moved on.

My then 18 month old middle son had the new 10x injection under a wound on his cheekbone at Heathrow as we arrived after he was bitten in Nigeria by our own dog who WAS rabid we had found. Now a strapping 6'2'' he rides Motocross and has a great job for British Gas - but those were worrying days.

I guess street dogs are the major risk in Thailand - carry a stick when you can and don't be afraid to use it.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Year’s first rabies death prompts warnings

Safety guidelines have been issued after a 32-year-old man in Surin became the first person this year to die of rabies.

Disease Control Department director-general Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai did not reveal the name of the man who was bitten by a stray dog in November, after which he failed to seek an anti-rabies vaccination.

The man developed fever and had difficulty swallowing before lab tests confirmed he had rabies, Suwannachai said.

“If a cat or a dog scratches or bites you or licks your wound, you have to promptly clean the wound with soap and water repeatedly for about 10 minutes,” he advised. “Then add Povidone-iodine [betadine] to lower the chance of rabies infection and see a doctor immediately for diagnosis and vaccination.” Once vaccinated, continue consulting the doctor as per appointments. “It’s also crucial that the animal be monitored for any abnormal symptoms or dies within 10 days,” he said.

Dr Suwannachai said people should avoid provoking animals lest they be scratched or bitten and take care to avoid stepping on any part of them.

You shouldn’t try to break up a cat or dog fight with your bare hands or take away any food they might be eating.

Avoid all contact with unknown animals.

He urged people to have their pets vaccinated annually, which local administrative bodies administer for free from March to June. More details are available from the department’s hotline, 1422.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368479