Korat-Farang.com

Paying cashless with mobile phones

Alfie · 9 · 369

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I was in Starbucks the other day and two customers in front of me paid by using their phones. With the first guy it was quick and efficient. He put his mobile phone against a scanner and the scanner read something and it went through the till in seconds. The second guy had real trouble paying that way. He was standing at the till for about 5 minutes. If I were him, I would have got my wallet out and paid cash if it took more than half a minute. Anyway, eventually the scanner recognised whatever app he was using and he got his order. I simply paid cash for my coffee.

A couple of weeks ago I encountered a similar situation somewhere else (I forget where) where one cutomer sailed though quickly and another customer had difficulty. So, what apps are they using? Anybody know? And does anybody here pay that way these days?
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline StephenP

Bangkok Bank offer this facility on your mobile phone using their mobile app and information from their web site is below:

Step into a cashless society with a digital lifestyle
Convenient, cashless, no more waiting for change. Just scan QR code at merchants with Bualuang mBanking app. Update your Bualuang mBanking app to new version today!

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
I have the Starbucks app on my phone. You load credit in advance then select 'pay'. It creates a barcode that their machine scans. Very quick, and you then get credits for free drinks, extra shots etc.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Bangkok Bank offer this facility on your mobile phone using their mobile app and information from their web site is below:

Thanks, Stephen. A modern day cardless debit system.

I have the Starbucks app on my phone. You load credit in advance then select 'pay'. It creates a barcode that their machine scans. Very quick, and you then get credits for free drinks, extra shots etc.

How do you put credit into the app, CK?

I was going to download the app to find out for myself but when I saw the app wants all my contact info, I decided not to download the app. Why would it wany my contacts info? Cheeky beggars. Data, data, data. It's not just Facebook you know!

Now look at the permissions the Bangkok Bank mbanking app wants!

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
    • Pix Isaan

When you download the app you set-up a go-to payment card. Each time you need to add credit you go to top-up, enter your password and top-up. You can automate this, but I prefer not. Clever move by Starbucks: this must be sitting on millions of other people's money as prepaid credit!

I agree about the contacts: harvesting data is a central element of everything companies do these days and we all give it away without a second thought!

Online KiwiCanadian

Its all about collecting data, data is the next (is already) biggest money maker.

I found this interesting:

https://youtu.be/rtJw35Vmpxk
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
When you download the app you set-up a go-to payment card. Each time you need to add credit you go to top-up, enter your password and top-up. You can automate this, but I prefer not. Clever move by Starbucks: this must be sitting on millions of other people's money as prepaid credit!

Where does the money come from, CK? Is is taken from the phone's credit (the SIM card company) or from a bank account that you have nominated and provided account details about to the app? Or can you top the app up directly in shops (like a 7-11 in Thailand/ WH Smiths/ Spar/etc, in the UK)? Or all three?

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
    • Pix Isaan

Where does the money come from, CK? Is is taken from the phone's credit (the SIM card company) or from a bank account that you have nominated and provided account details about to the app? Or can you top the app up directly in shops (like a 7-11 in Thailand/ WH Smiths/ Spar/etc, in the UK)? Or all three?

You add a debit or credit card as the payment card, not deducted from the phone credit. When the balance drops you can then add an amount to the card (I think the miniumum in the UK is £10). I've never tried adding credit to the app at the till but I assume you can. The app then logs each transaction to accumulate points HOWEVER it is a little sneaky; you get one 'point' per transaction - so buy one drink, get one credit. Buy four drinks, still only one credit and I think it only allows one credit per day (but I may br wrong). I think it is unlikely you can 'top-up' the credit on the app somewhere else.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Thanks, CK. I'd rather pay cash or even by debit card than have my money sitting in Starbucks' bank account!