Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: World Cup 2018 ?  (Read 338 times)

Roger

• Solid Member +
World Cup 2018 ?
« on: March 28, 2018, 05:31:35 PM »

The World Cup starts on June 14th - that's not long now . . .

I am just wondering IF it should go ahead in Russia, be postponed or organised swiftly elsewhere in Europe ? These questions were asked in the Daily Mail recently I believe, but of course, I haven't been able to read it !

Russia has a problem with brutal hooliganism and racial abuse. With all the tension still surrounding the 'Skripal' row - will it be too much ? England for example, have their Group games in St Petersburg where now there is no Consulate at all and 23 less Diplomats in Moscow.

One fears the Russian Police may be extra tough on any England supporters who tempt trouble.

Another scenario I heard talked about. Putin loves the limelight - see him at FI in the 'arrival lounge' with the drivers at race end. Imagine, at the England game, the lights dim - Putin goes on the big screen and walks out to shake hands. Should the England team refuse ? PLUS, when it comes to presenting the World Cup to England - the team might have to face Putin again !

I've heard no discussion but surely, FIFA are monitoring this - atm things are are not getting any better  :-\

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:35:51 AM by Roger »

Coolkorat

• Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Re: World Cup 2018 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 10:41:16 PM »

I think FIFA would probably welcome a Russian boycott: it would (perhaps) take the heat off the awarding of the 2022 WC to Qatar and allow them to reorganise themselves before the awarding of World Cup 2026. Following a boycotted Russia, Qatar would seem a sensible choice...!

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 08:26:26 AM »

I am convinced the World Cup should be postponed or organised swiftly elsewhere in Europe ?

Russia has a problem with brutal hooliganism and racial abuse. With all the tension still surrounding the 'Skripal' row and now the chemical weapons in Syria, it'll all be just too tense.

England have their Group games in St Petersburg where now there is no Consulate at all and less Diplomats in Moscow. One fears the Russian Police may be extra tough on any England supporters who tempt trouble.

Putin loves the limelight. Imagine, at the England games, the lights dim - Putin goes on the big screen and walks out to shake hands. Should the England team refuse ?

When it comes to presenting the World Cup to England - the team might have to face Putin again !

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 10:43:22 AM »

England football supporters will be an obvious target for malicious Russian hooligans and maybe the 'Authorities' too.

In the light of the alleged 'abduction' of Yulia and Sergei Skripal - any possibility to hold UK citizens as fodder for another 'exchange' may be just too attractive ?

Time to exercise a bit of foresight and pull the World Cup from Russia - now.

AIMHO

caller

• Solid Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »

Russia needs the money. They will do whatever is needed to keep the show on the road 

TheOddViking

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 04:50:29 AM »

When it comes to presenting the World Cup to England - the team might have to face Putin again !

Don't worry, that won't happen!  ;D

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 08:00:36 PM »

Caller. Yes Russia needs money - they have invested a great deal in FIFA 2018 already - not least in the bribes paid to get it awarded in the first place  ;)

But if FIFA were to change their plans - there's not much Russia can do about it is there ? Of course, the income from the Tournament will be helpful, but IMO the prestige factor is all important to Putin.

Pulling the World Cup now WOULD be an effective sanction on Russia, to repay it's other adventures. If Russia responds to the recent attacks in Syria by the USA, France and the UK - maybe some Nations will withdraw or FIFA will act ?

Viking - spot on. ATB

caller

• Solid Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 02:50:45 PM »

But if FIFA were to change their plans - there's not much Russia can do about it is there ?

I'm not sure, but there are a lot of factors to take into account - would Russia be entitled to compensation, same question goes for the huge amounts already spent by TV companies across the World, then there are all the hotel bookings and so on by various Countries and other media. Sadly, I suspect cost will be foremost in FIFA's mind.

On the plus side, a group of Labour MP's, not Corbyn, obviously, have called for FIFA to move the World Cup and there is some sort of on-line petition demanding the same thing.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 03:53:47 PM »

Thanks Caller - hadn't seen that about the 'plus' side. Interesting.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 06:03:15 PM »

The Guardian's 'long read' about football hooliganism in Russia is more than a little alarming :-

''In the summer of 2016, the Russian football hooligan, previously a provincial sort of bogeyman, padded on to the international stage at the European Championship in France. On 10 June, an estimated 150 Russians descended on Marseille’s Old Port. They moved in orderly phalanxes, greeting any England supporters they ran into with extravagant violence. One England fan had his Achilles tendons sliced. Two English men were left in a coma, one of whom was left paralysed on the left-hand side of his body (his alleged assailant, wanted for attempted murder, was arrested in Germany in February). Another man reportedly travelled home on the Eurostar with glass from a shattered bottle still lodged in his neck.''

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/apr/24/russia-neo-nazi-football-hooligans-world-cup

Caller - I had a look around but couldn't find a credible Petition. If you can put you finger on it, can you link it for me. I'm ready to sign up. Thanks   :(

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 10:56:32 PM »

As a football fan and an England fan - our 'Boys' are going to Russia soon  ::)

''Russia is facing international calls to accept responsibility for the downing of flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine in 2014, which caused the deaths of all 298 people onboard. Australia and the Netherlands on Friday accused Moscow of complicity in the incident, while Britain’s foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, said the Kremlin “must now answer for its actions”.

“The Kremlin believes it can act with impunity. The Russian government must now answer for its actions in relation to the downing of MH17,” said Johnson in a statement. A Downing Street spokesman said that during a phone call with Ukraine’s president, Petro Poroshenko, Theresa May said the alleged actions “fit into a well-established pattern of Russian aggression”.

Despite longstanding suspicion and a mounting body of evidence pointing to Russia’s involvement, this is the first time governments have officially accused Moscow over the incident
.''

To all 298 of those Folks, R.I.P.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/25/mh17-australia-and-netherlands-accuse-russia-of-complicity

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 06:17:18 PM »

Well I'm glad to say my fears did not come to be. Big crowds at most games and everyone seems to have enjoyed themselves with little trouble reported.

Mr Putin has kept a low profile. The success of the World Cup event is maybe the best outcome for Russia's ailing reputation. At least we have been spared lots of cheesy Putin grins along the way.

The whole event seems to have been well organised and handled.
Pages: [1]