Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wine Boxes  (Read 423 times)

Hector

Wine Boxes
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:14:14 AM »

Has anyone else notice the shortage of boxed wine in the local supermarkets for the last month?  Leaving out the alcohol free TOPS, I have tried both Tecos, Big C, both Macros and Foodland and have found at best only a box or two.  In Tescos Joho there was just one 5 ltr box of red normally selling for around 900 Baht priced at 1260!  Phi Mai Tesco seems to have given up completely.   I have not tried the Mall.  Does anyone know if they are as well stocked as usual?  What about Klang Plaza?

Bournemouth

Re: Wine Boxes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:45:30 AM »

The wine shop at the back of the old bus station in Korat had some last I called in.

Sorry don't remember the price.

I did buy a two litre bottle of Australian red for 260 baht .

Used to be 230 baht but I guess the price went up when the tax increased.

Hector

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 04:06:45 PM »

Ah well, I guess none of you buy wine in boxes.......  No matter.  I made one of my rare visits to the Mall today and they have as few boxes as everyone else.  I asked the staff about this and mentioned that everywhere else was the same and she said that the supplies hadn't come in for weeks because of a major re-pricing exercise! (I didn't quite see what that had to do with supply, but there....).  As - to take an example - Mont Clair 5 ltrs is going from 890 to 1290, that is a serious increase, far more in fact than the much touted increase in booze prices last year that never really happened.  So there we are; watch this space, as they say.  Back to drinking beer or whisky!

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »

Planning to check my Tesco 2m Hector - that price increase is bad news  ::)
I guess a glass of wine in a Restaurant will be going up too !

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 12:01:58 PM »

Just back from Tesco Chantaburi - plenty of wine boxes on sale.
BUT  :-[  the prices are UP  ::)

Bodegas Valley 3L red was B599 now B899 (my usual).
Montclaire 3L up to B1119 red and white Wow !
Robertson 3L dry red B899
Peter Vella red 4L B799
Castle Creek red 5L B998
Mont Clair 5L white B1290 and 10L white B1499

Seems no pattern to it - someone in HQ is having a laugh ?

Have you tried Makro ? BTW Bells Whisky is a good price in Tesco, 7/11 and Big C atm. Keep supping. ATB

Hector

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 04:31:31 PM »

TY the info Roger.  Those are the sort of figures that I have been seeing.  Its certainly a massive price jump and what surprises me is that it hasn't been promulgated, unlike the furore surrounding the last price increase, which sent everyone off to their suppliers to stock up and which turned out to be a very minor rise!  Agree about Bells; I prefer it to 100 Pipers - and it is cheaper.  I prefer to drink whisky anyway, but I have always kept the odd box of wine in the house; not sure I'm going to do so now at these prices - better to spend a bit more on a couple of decent bottles of the stuff!  I wonder who/what is behind this rise.

nookiebear

• Solid Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 07:10:11 AM »

TY the info Roger.  Those are the sort of figures that I have been seeing.  Its certainly a massive price jump and what surprises me is that it hasn't been promulgated, unlike the furore surrounding the last price increase, which sent everyone off to their suppliers to stock up and which turned out to be a very minor rise!  Agree about Bells; I prefer it to 100 Pipers - and it is cheaper.  I prefer to drink whisky anyway, but I have always kept the odd box of wine in the house; not sure I'm going to do so now at these prices - better to spend a bit more on a couple of decent bottles of the stuff!  I wonder who/what is behind this rise.
My favourite red was Brookford but no longer seen anywhere......The girl in Makro Korat says' big box wine no more'
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Ratsima

• Administrator
  • Just Arrived
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 07:07:47 AM »

I think last year's tax adjustments are finally catching up with the retail chain. The proliferation of 3L boxes may be to keep the cost under the 1000 baht price point.

We used to buy the 5L boxes of MontClair red at Tesco for 969 baht. Now the 3L box costs 999 baht. That's an increase of just over 70%.

The cost of imported beer has gone up similarly. I used to buy 500ml bottles of English ales (Wells, Fuller's) for 158 baht including VAT. Those same beers are now 219 baht, plus VAT, so about 235 baht. That's an increase of nearly 50%.

Anton

• Forumphile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 05:51:53 PM »

I think last year's tax adjustments are finally catching up with the retail chain.

Q.E.D....

I have a feeling imported wine will keep disappearing gradually from supermarket shelves.
If thar’s one thing I hates worse than a nigger or a woman, it’s a Yankee. I’d hearn tell they couldn’t never mind their own bizness. I hates folks who can’t mind their own bizness (Archie in "Gone with the wind", ch. 42)

Ratsima

• Administrator
  • Just Arrived
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 05:39:02 AM »

On a positive note: Since the price of beer and wine have gone up so much I've had to limit my imbibing pleasure to the extent that I've lost five kilos in six months. I can now wear the same size jeans that I wore at university….

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 09:16:30 AM »

That's it Anton. Alfie's Reply 3 on that 2017 thread, quoted the BKK Post noting a B110 tax increase against a B25 DECREASE on wine made in Thailand  :(

If that B110 is per bottle - that's B440 on a 3L box and B733 on a 5L box !

If that B110 is per litre - that's B330 on a 3L box and B550 on a 5L box !

When the pricing settles down, these are the increases we'll see. I buy about 2 x 3L boxes a years so I'll pay up but it's annoying.

But I'll first look for Aussie red in B'muff's shop  :D

Ratsima - well done. A fine example to us all.  ;)

That_Guy

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 09:35:14 PM »

1119 baht for a 3L box of Montclair in Big-C, Tesco, and Makro today, and as an added kicker the lady in Makro told us that the manufacturer has stopped making any other size.

So if you want red wine this Saturday...bring your own!!

Pages: [1]