Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Premier League and other football chat - 2018-2019  (Read 740 times)

Roger

• Solid Member +
Premier League and other football chat - 2018-2019
« on: July 13, 2018, 01:38:03 AM »

I see Antonio Conte has been fired as Chelsea's Manager - I guess they have secured a replacement. Now the World Cup is over ??? I'm eagerly awaiting the new season  :D

dereklev

• Solid Member
  • My pride and joy boy
Re: Premier League and other football chat - 2018-2019
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »

Conte's stats and they want to sack him :o :o :o

Conte's mark of 30 league wins in the 2016-17 campaign was a record until Manchester City produced 32 in 2017-18

His league win percentage of 67.1% is better than Sir Alex Ferguson's 65.2% and only bettered by Pep Guardiola's 72.8% in the Premier League

In all he won 69 and drew 20 of his 106 games in charge of the club

He has won four league titles and a domestic cup in his last five seasons as a club manager

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44811843
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 02:52:44 AM »

A good start to the pre-season for Everton  ::)

A 0-22 win away from home  :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44835279

dereklev

• Solid Member
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:06:05 AM »

A good start to the pre-season for Everton  ::)

A 0-22 win away from home  :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44835279

Highway Star will be very happy with that result ;D
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »

The vision of Paul Pogba proudly leading out his team for the 1st game of the season sticks in my mind rather - hand in hand with a small girl on that hallowed turf - he gathers his sputum and managed a giant spit half way to the centre - lovely. (Why do footballers spit so much - there's no athletic need is there so is it just a macho or contempt thing  ???)

Sticking with Man Utd - I watched the game against Spurs last night. I see they had 57% possession and 23 shots to lose 0-3. I thought the teams looked well matched although it was a very scrappy game - Man Utd's players are not enjoying themselves but Luke Shaw played really well I thought.

Derek I agree Conte was a little unlucky to lose his job at Chelsea  - but they've started well with 3 wins in a row.

Teess Sunderland look to be doing OK and I hope they get an auto promotion. You may remember Gary Owers, 320 games and 25 goals for Sunderland. The unfortunate fellow is managing TUFC in National South and he is struggling. He comes over as 'dower Owers' and is getting attacked by the Fans - disgracefully someone threw tea at him on Saturday. Seems a decent Guy with a great pedigree and I hope he can turn it around quick  ;)

The other game I saw was Wolves v Man City - good luck to Wolves who fought like tigers and should be ok in the EPL this year ? TW ?

Thaiwolf

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 08:48:52 AM »

Hi Roger,
 My rather leftfield prediction that Wolves would beat Man City was based on two things. Wolves, despite their loss, played Leicester City off the park on the previous weekend and secondly they held Man City to a goalless draw in last season’s League Cup.

Concerning Wolves this season, they must forget all the hype and keep their feet on the ground. Survival should be their first target and that is 100% certain in my opinion.

I am tempering my expectations but based on their first three performances and despite only gaining two points, a top ten finish could be possible. NES has put together a strong squad and I rather like their cavalier approach to their play.

With the continued support from Chinese benefactors Fosun International , the club could be the next Chelsea or Man City. A successful Wolves could, if the Stadium is expanded, attract 50 000 plus crowds as seen in the past. I myself have been present in 50 000 crowds at the “old Molineux” in the 60s and 70s.

I was brought up with stories of Wright, Slater and Clamp (no not a local solicitors but the Wolves midfield of the 50s), the famous long ball days of Jimmie Mullin and Johnnie Hancocks and my grandfather waxing lyrical about the defeat of Honved with media proclaiming Wolves to be the “best team in the world”……..anyway I digress…….it’s great to be back!!!

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »

Hi TW. I remember those solicitors AND Terry Wharton, Alan Hinton, Derek Dougan, Ron Flowers, Peter Broadbent etc etc !

I'd forgotten that you had Ernie Hunt at one time - I watched him playing at Swindon Town as a teenager with Mike Summerbee, Bobby Woodruff (another of yours - 18 goals in 63 games from midfield) and later the incomparable Don Rogers  ;D ;D ;D
(I've still got those autographs somewhere).

MOVING ON - remember Clint Dempsey ? Fulham, Spurs and the USA ?
He's retired. Really worth a look at the clip in this Guardian link.

Amazing goal against Juventus, yes Juventus !!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/29/clint-dempsey-retires-seattle-sounders-fulham-usa-soccer

Thaiwolf

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 09:35:08 AM »

Is it just me or were Wolves absolutely superb against Burnley. Put your money on Wolvesto  beat Man. United next week.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »

Just you M8  ;) No seriously - Wolves are doing well atm  ;D
I hope it continues.

As for beating Man Utd - you'll have no chance in Teess EPL table if you keep tipping Wolves like that . . . (the humble pie is ready if needed).  ATB

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »

TW - well done Wolves - (I got the draw)  ;)
You must be chuffed - Wolves are looking good and all the pundits seem to think they'll be OK  ;D

Teess - how do you feel about your lot ? It's early days but the auto promo places are in sight - Sunderland just 4 points off the top. How do you feel about the Squad now ?

Barnsley v Burton called off after an Air Ambulance had to remove someone who'd had a heart attack ? Not sure about that - what if it was Old Trafford and 70,000 there ? ATB to the poor Chap of course, but, over reaction ?

Torquay have signed an excellent new Manager - the experienced Gary Johnson. A 0-7 F.A.Cup win against Lymington in the bag and leaders Woking up next in the League ! Torquay must finish as Champs - as the only full time pro team in NLS, nothing else will do. Gary J has good contacts at Bristol City and we have some nice loanees already - soon we'll be catching up the Black Cats LOL.

I see Swindon Supermarine also got a 7-0 win in the F.A.Cup - the old 'Vickers Armstrong Supermarine' Football team I played for ! But they've come on a bit since I was banging in a few for the Reserves !

Teessider

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 07:49:42 PM »

Sunderland havd an almost completely new team, only Lee Cattermole remains apart from the youngsters. 2 of the expensive acquisitions, Djilobodji (£8m) and N'Dong (£13m) were awol at start of season. Djilobodji turned up late and unfit so they sacked him, N'Dong now says he wil return on reduced wages but it remains to be seen if the club want him. The team should improve through the season as they get used to each other and the new manager so I am hopeful of automatic promotion. Some fans ars already talking of a Wear/Tyne derby next season.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »

So far no EPL team looks like running away with it - should be a brilliant chase this season - MCFC, CFC and L'Pool neck and neck having dropped only 4 points in the first 8 games !
Three Managers from mainland EU shining - Guardiola as expected with Sarri and Klopp having transformed their teams into genuine challengers, (Sarri rather quickly).

What of Arsenal - signs of life under Unai Emery ? They certainly squashed Fulham last week and their 3rd goal - the result of great skills and teamwork  :)

The great John Terry retires from playing and joins beleagured Aston Villa as Asst. Manager.

The signing of Jermaine Defoe on a 3 year contract does not seem to be working out for Eddie Howe at Bournemouth - not yet half way through at FAT wages, after 24 appearances and 4 goals last year, just 4 appearances and no goals this season ?

The media concentrate on Mourinho's fate at MUFC - he doesn't help himself - saw him throwing water from his bottle at the camera on the way out and mouthing stuff after the game. Man Utd could do better.

Teess - S'land need auto promo - too many fluke results in the play offs. Good luck !

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »

I expect most of us watched Chelsea v Man Utd - I enjoyed it. Martial did well. I'm not a CFC fan but was glad when they grabbed the draw.

Mourinho with his usual 'rat in a corner' performance may be facing a touchline ban - this makes me think - why not put ALL the coaches in the stand with physios only on the bench ? Hard to believe that screaming away in a packed stadium from the touchline achieves anything. Watching Klopp freaking out strengthens the idea - he'll do himself an injury  :(

FGS the Players are hard bitten Professionals - if they don't know what to do after many years of playing and the last week's training - it's bizarre to think the Manager can make a difference with a tantrum from 70 metres away. Put 'em ALL in the stands and dispense with the 'Fourth Official' - and what a stupid role that is - listening to ranting and raving Managers  :o

To the stands you lot !

Saw Liverpool last night - Huddersfield did very well and were a bit unlucky at times. L'pool don't look great and I thought Salah, for all the waffle about him, played the best of the forwards. But they missed Robert Firminho and Mane IMO. Milner looks tired. Poor performance in contrast to Man City in rampant mood.

If Arsenal beat Leicester tonight they'll go above Spurs and IF they score 4, above Chelsea into 3rd. Signs of life there !

Wayne Rooney is 'on fire' in the USA - good for him.

For years TUFC have lost in the 1st round proper of the FA Cup - usually squashed by a minnow from the lower echelons they now inhabit themselves !  Things are looking up - after a few wins they elevate to the Ist Round Proper - and like very other minnow - they are hoping to be drawn - AWAY TO SUNDERLAND - which must be the best supported Club in this draw ?

So watch out Teess - prepare for a thrashing LOL

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »

Richard Scudamore who has been Premier League Boss for 19 years at a package reaching £2.5 million is retiring shortly. The Chairman of Chelsea, Bruce Buck, has proposed that the 20 EPL Clubs all contribute £250K to for a £5 million leaving bonanza for Scudamore >:(   >:(

Curse his boots I say ! What a ridiculous idea and that anyone could think such a person should receive such a bonus, (never mind the money that comes out of fan's pockets), illustrates the quite wicked level of Executive's remuneration that seems to be the norm these days.

WHEN the revolution comes, Mr Buck should be first to the guillotine  ;)

(To be followed shortly after by Gordon Taylor of the PFA).

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 08:32:10 PM »

FFS how many Football Supporters earn a £ million in 20 years ?
Scudamore has been paid more than that EACH year for many years.

Thankfully - voices of sense can be heard - even these days !

''The Football Supporters’ Federation (FSF) has urged clubs to reject a plan to give the outgoing Premier League executive chairman, Richard Scudamore, a £5m leaving present.''
and . . . .
''Now it appears clubs can stick their hands down the back of the sofa and find £250,000 at a moment’s notice. Fans strongly oppose the ‘golden handshake’ and we urge clubs not to make a decision which is hugely unpopular with supporters.''

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/15/premier-league-5m-richard-scudamore-gift

Teessider

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 08:44:05 PM »

Only 4 PL clubs are committed to pay all employees the living wage so finding money for an unnecessary £5m leaving gift  to a multi millionaire would be shoddy work indeed.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 09:28:56 AM »

Well said Teess.
It looks now as if we might get a revolution - then we can sort these biggers out  ;)
Good and proper !

Yet another 'International Break' disrupting the more important football. I see FIFA are planning a league basis for the 'World Club Championship' too. I'm already knackered and just can't play all these games even though we have a big squad - so BACK OFF FIFA !

I see Fulham dumped poor Jokanovic after he had succeeded in getting the promo to the EPL - against all odds  :(  But tinker man Ranieri is a good replacement of course. I saw the first half of Liverpool v Fulham and thought Fulham did well enough.

A good 3-0 win for England against the USA who are no pushover these days. Rooney's tribute appearance seems to have gone well but I remember, despite his goals, England never achieved much in Rooney's era.  :'(  I'm more optimistic about England under Saint Southgate than I was during the World Cup - he seems to be putting something together now and isn't locked into the big reputations - plenty of youngsters getting a chance. Go for it !

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 09:35:13 PM »

When the revolution comes - and it ain't gonna be long by the look of it . . .

One of the first for the chop is Mr Taylor - Football Administration is still a shambles - wherever you look ! Mr T has done 40 years now !

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/nov/17/gordon-taylor-football-fattest-cat-pfa

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »

I hope that when the PFA get rid of this toad Taylor and appoint a new CEO - a maximum salary of £500K should be allocated to the CEO role. That will allow the PFA to increase it's support for Ex-Pro's in distress, by some 500% !! Some shocking stuff behind the glitter of the beautiful game :-

''Research conducted in 2013 by the organisation XPro suggested that as many as 60% of former players, who earned huge salaries in their Premier League days, were declaring bankruptcy within five years of retiring.''

and . . .

''The extent of financial problems suffered by players also underlies the resentment felt by many over the £2.29m annual salary earned by Gordon Taylor, the players’ union’s chief executive, which contrasts with a total of £500,000 the PFA distributed in benevolent grants last year.''

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/19/more-than-500-footballers-may-have-lost-up-to-1bn-due-to-bad-advice

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 07:49:11 AM »

A step forward ?

''The Football Association will seek to cut the number of foreign players permitted in Premier League squads, even if the United Kingdom does not leave the European Union. The FA has drawn up proposals to deal with Brexit under which the allowance of non-homegrown players in the 25-man squads would be reduced from 17 to 13, and will pursue that course regardless.''

Very good news IMHO but I'd like to see the limit as 10 - and what about signed in and loaned out Players, not in the EPL squad   ::)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/20/fa-cut-overseas-players-regardless-brexit
Pages: [1] 2