Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Premier League and other football chat - 2018-2019  (Read 2254 times)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Premier League and other football chat - 2018-2019
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2019, 02:57:52 PM »

I fancy Fulham to ground Man Utd k.o. 7.30 tonight - but I'm not changing my EPL prediction. It's just a hunch   ;)
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2019, 03:08:51 PM »

I agree Roger. go on, change your prediction!!!

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2019, 03:14:21 PM »

NO !!!  You change yours LOL !   8)
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Teessider

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2019, 04:45:24 PM »

In the top 4 fixtures everybody has forecast wins for Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool while in the palace west ham game 3 go for palace and 5 for the draw.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Teessider

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2019, 02:23:56 PM »

When there are no PL games to watch I get to see Serie A and La Liga both of which have VAR in operation. Sometimes its OK and used sparingly but occasionally it both dominates and spoils the game. Every goal is minutely examined looking for infringements in the build-up. In Serie A this sometimes means the players stand around while thr ref waits for word on his headset. After a couple of minutes of this he trots over to a tv at theside of the pitch to see for himself. I saw a goal in Serie A disallowed 4 minutes after scoring for an attacking player who pressed a full back into a mistake putting a foot on the white line of the penalty box just before the goal kick left the box. The EPL needs to ensure that VAR use not be overplayed next season.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Teessider

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »

Man City 6 Chelsea 0

Sarri needs go change his tactics quickly. His policy of everything through Jorginho has been found out. He needs to put Kante back in his best position and remove the not good enough Pedro and Barkley while finding a place for Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi. Put Willian back in to take some pressure off Hazard. Yes City were good but Chelsea have not scored away in 2019!
Meanwhile OGS tastes defeat for first time against PSG. PSG put a man on Pogba to stop him playing and it worked so well Pogba was eventually sent off. We can expect to see this tactic repeated.
Blaine Pascal

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2019, 09:12:40 PM »

Man City 6 Chelsea 0

Sarri needs go change his tactics quickly. His policy of everything through Jorginho has been found out. He needs to put Kante back in his best position and remove the not good enough Pedro and Barkley while finding a place for Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi. Put Willian back in to take some pressure off Hazard. Yes City were good but Chelsea have not scored away in 2019!

If only it was as simple as that. As you say, once the others worked out how Chelsea were playing after our unbeaten start scoring at will, it's been all down hill and Sarri doesn't know how to respond. It was telling when he admitted on the advice of Guardiola, that he was concentrating on a mere nucleus of 14 players to train them to play his way. 

He has no plan B and so far, has shown no ability to change our style during the course of a game, apart from replacing one player with another, but in the same role.

The problem is he has lots' of fantastic players whose skills aren't really suited to tippy-tappy football.

I agree about Konte returning to his best position, who wouldn't? Well Sarri, seemingly. Same with playing Hazard out of position, it's nuts! I actually rate Barkley, but you feel he is playing with a stranglehold around him. On the odd occasion he forgets that, he does things like goal assists and scoring, but mainly he passes it 10 yards, then gets it back again, then passes it 10 yards again, as does Jorghino.

In fairness, Sarri always said it would take time and he claims we are nowhere near playing how he wants us to play.

I think football is best played with your soul and a passion that is best served by letting players play to their strengths, there was a buzz at first, but now it feels as though the players have lost all confidence in Sarri's methods. Hopefully that's not terminal, but he just cannot plough on as if everything is okay when it clearly isn't and then scratch his head wondering why, after another defeat. It's really up to him to show he has the ability at this level. 

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2019, 07:30:20 AM »

Chelsea - ouch ! With Man Utd flying atm in the EPL under OGS - it looks like they might be outpaced to the Top 4  ??? Arsenal can't hope for better than 6th ?

Teess - the Guardian reviewing, 'Sunderland 'till I die' - I wondered if you'd seen this article . .

''Sunderland . . had operated as a kind of transit hub for pros going in different directions. There was young talent on the way up (the England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford had moved to Everton), old talent on the way down (John O’Shea, five times a Premier League winner with Manchester United), players on loan who hadn’t quite worked out elsewhere (the Wales midfielder Jonny Williams, borrowed from Crystal Palace), and players whose bright futures seemed suddenly behind them (the former Everton prodigy Jack Rodwell).''

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/feb/10/sunderland-til-i-die-plight-merely-very-good-football-player

Teessider

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2019, 11:32:33 AM »

Yes Roger I read the article. I get the Guardian kindle issue daily. I have not yet managed to locate the Netflix series "Sunderland til' I die' on YT but expect it to appear soon. Good win for Spurs last night, maybe Kane and Alli will struggle to get back in the team?
Blaine Pascal

Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2019, 02:59:06 PM »

Hi Tees, I bingewatched all episodes of "Sunderland till I die". The series is readily available using Kodi (addons "supremacy" and "exodus" have the series). A great series that I really enjoyed.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2019, 05:50:26 PM »

From the BBC website : Leicester City have "parted company" with manager Claude Puel.

''City lost 4-1 at home to Crystal Palace on Saturday in what proved to be Puel's final game after 16 months in charge. Puel, 57, leaves the club 12th in the Premier League having lost five of their last six league games. The Frenchman guided Leicester to a ninth-place finish in the Premier League in his first season but the club are now looking for their fourth permanent manager in 23 months.

Saturday's defeat meant Leicester have lost four consecutive home Premier League games for the first time since January 2000 and conceded the first goal in 19 Premier League matches this season - more than any other side
.''

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2019, 09:32:16 PM »

Just watched Man Utd v Southampton at the Pub  :-\

A really good game - 5 great goals. Man U have had an amazing sequence of less than 'top' fixtures but notwithstanding, with the appalling JM I don't think they would have made the number of points they have since OGS arrived. Cardiff fans must be horrified but we all know the reasons why.

For me the pick of the goals was Ward-Prowse and Pereira - but Lukaku scored 2 brilliant goals too. As a Man U NOT lover, I'm beginning to like 'em  ::)

OGS's best talent is to pull the Guys together unlike the JM. Had to blink at Pogba's 'missed' penalty - poor shot but the save with the trailing foot - flukey but G Banks standard. Good fun.

Last comment, promise  :-\  I see JM has been commenting on OGS and MUFC results since he was SACKED. Pathetic  ::)

Teessider

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2019, 11:55:15 PM »

Poor penalty by Pogba. If it had gone in Pogba would gave been praised with some drivel like "he waited for Gunn to move". Smash it in the corner like Kane does. On that matter Kane was offside when fouled so should not have got the penalty and Vertonghen was almost alongside Aubameyang for the Arsenal penalty.
Blaine Pascal

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2019, 07:11:45 AM »

Yes Verthongen was quite close to Aubameyang but there were two Arses players just as close when Harry scored his penalty.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2019, 06:43:49 AM »

Well done Manchester Utd - after a good start from Lukaku, Man Utd apparently were outplayed but got stronger as the game went on.
'' . . . the first team to overturn a 2-0 first leg deficit at home in this competition''  :)

A stunning effort and I'm delighted that Marcus Rashford took the penalty - after being handled badly by Southgate for England and the ridiculous Mourinho at Man Utd, he seals this great day with a penalty.

I daresay some of you watched live but there are brilliant pics in this DM link :-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-6779099/PSG-1-3-Manchester-United-3-2agg-gasp-Marcus-Rashford-VAR-penalty-seals-quarter-final-spot.html

Just a footnote - rumours are that Real Madrid may turn to JM in thier hour of crisis  ::)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:44:53 AM by Roger »

Robert

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2019, 02:06:38 PM »

Hi Roger,

because the title of this topic is "Premier League and other football chat - 2018-2019 I hesitated to wite something about Real Madrid versus Ajax. However when visiting a barbershop this morning noticed a Thai newspaper with a rather prominent photo on the frontpage. It made me smile again.

Robert

Ajax-Thaise-krant-1" border="0

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2019, 02:13:16 PM »

It was a great result for Ajax.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2019, 03:15:53 PM »

It was a great result for Ajax.

It certainly was a fantastic result for Ajax.

Looks like they have a great young team again.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »

;D
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Teessider

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2019, 06:51:25 PM »

FA cup games now on BeIn Sports. All 3 games live tonight, more tomorrow.
Blaine Pascal
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5