Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Premier League and other football chat - 2018-2019  (Read 4016 times)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Premier League and other football chat - 2018-2019
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2019, 06:50:26 AM »

Thanks for that Alfie - on the Fans Forum I recall a post that since GJ arrived in September, Torquay have won 23 out of 30 ? If that's correct it's a remarkable 75% win rate and although it's level 6, there's always 2 teams out there  ;)

85 points in the bag with 88 goals scored - Champions with 3 games to go  :D

I noted this on the Fan's Forum recently :-

Post by Swatcat » 04 Apr 2019, 06:24
''One of the heart-warming aspects of Torquay's brilliant Gary Johnson era this season, is a turnaround for your local boy Jamie Reid. Having hit 30 goals now his fan rating will be 'off the scale', vis the early criticism he received. Well done GJ but most of all - well done Jamie. To pick yourself up after all that 'approbation' shows some real strength of character. Never look back now Jamie !''

When GJ arrived, Reid had been the subject of much vilification - Reid is a forgiving Fellow - having already signed for next season . . .

Alfie ATB
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2019, 08:14:54 AM »

I wonder if Teess got to see Sunderland score 4 at home this weekend only to lose the game 4-5. Ouch !   :(   If Barnsley grab the automatic promotion, that'll be a good opportunity down the drain for Sunderland.

Good Luck against a lively Doncaster Friday !
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Teessider

« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2019, 03:51:06 PM »

Not at the game Roger, but following events on Soccer Saturday with Jeff Stelling. Went behind 4 times in the game for first home defeat. The game v Donny is on Sky Friday so hope to see them bounce back. Then we play Portsmouth in which I hope they can get revenge for our Wemnley loss on pens.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »

Juventus - Ajax: 1 -2. The fairy tale continues...... ;D ;D ;D

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2019, 05:47:22 PM »

Hi Robert and well done Ajax - I have a Dutch Pal in Dan Kwian and he is over the moon with Ajax atm. Last time I saw him, he observed that when the season ends, Ajax will as usual, lose their best Players to the big money European Clubs - that's sad - so it'll be good IF they can lift the Champions League this time  ;)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2019, 08:34:22 PM »

Robert - just for you . . . .

''This is a love letter, a tribute to a team that has made me fall in love with football again and a club who have reminded us all that something pure remains unsullied in the beautiful game. You may not fully appreciate how special Ajax are, not yet. You will probably be unaware of the journey this famous Dutch club has been on, the thinking behind the process that has brought them to the brink of a Champions League final for the first time in 23 years.

Ajax are amazing and I do not use those words lightly. They play with freedom of expression, they play like a team born in Amsterdam, that most artistic and rebellious of cities where you are allowed to indulge; where hedonism is a way of life and your creativity is nurtured and encouraged. If ever a football team symbolised its home city, it is Ajax. It is an incredible team, not just a joy to behold, but remarkable because this is simply not supposed to happen in the modern game
''.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/04/17/love-letter-ajax-europes-exciting-team/

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »

I worried what was the rush ?? Anyone notice the Press game ?

''Okay, let's not panic just yet. Yes, Manchester United are not quite the force they had threatened to be in the early days of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's reign, and yes, after a resounding 4-0 aggregate defeat to Barcelona, they are now out of the running in every competition, meaning the success of their season rests on securing qualification for the 2019/20 Champions League.

However, given the position they were in when Jose Mourinho was sacked in December - 11 points off fourth after 17 games, if you needed reminding - the chance to make this season's top four certainly shouldn't be sniffed at.''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/04/17/end-ole-gunnar-solskjaers-honeymoon-gone-awry-manchester-united/

Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2019, 07:20:51 AM »

Robert - just for you . . . .

''This is a love letter, a tribute to a team that has made me fall in love with football again and a club who have reminded us all that something pure remains unsullied in the beautiful game. You may not fully appreciate how special Ajax are, not yet. You will probably be unaware of the journey this famous Dutch club has been on, the thinking behind the process that has brought them to the brink of a Champions League final for the first time in 23 years.

Ajax are amazing and I do not use those words lightly. They play with freedom of expression, they play like a team born in Amsterdam, that most artistic and rebellious of cities where you are allowed to indulge; where hedonism is a way of life and your creativity is nurtured and encouraged. If ever a football team symbolised its home city, it is Ajax. It is an incredible team, not just a joy to behold, but remarkable because this is simply not supposed to happen in the modern game
''.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/04/17/love-letter-ajax-europes-exciting-team/

Hi Roger,

this is the reason why I have been an Ajax-supporter since 1969. Ajax plays football for the supporters not only for the result. If I would be a supporter of such a club no need to see the match only the result.

Still happy, but what a game between Man City and Spurs! Against Man City I would have said 70/30 chance, against Spurs 50/50 depending upon the flow of the players.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2019, 11:53:30 AM »

Footy is gripping atm - in The Champions League - Liverpool and Spurs in the semis, MCFC and MUFC having missed out  8)  Ajax had a remarkable win over Juventus who have just won their 8th Serie A title in succession. Aaron Ramsey of Arsenal is a good player but he's a bit lucky to be joining Juventus next season IMO - he'll have some fun there.

Barcelona have the chance of 3 EPL scalps, MUFC (done), Liverpool next and maybe Spurs in the Final. Myself I'd like to see Ajax get to the Final and beat Barca.

In the Europa League, Arsenal and Chelsea in the semis too.

At Man Utd problems loom - ''Manchester United's angry players turned on each other in the aftermath of the humiliating defeat at Everton. . . . . The players then pointed the finger at one another during a heated exchange, and raised voices could be heard from the corridor outside as they argued among themselves.'' (DM). I watched the game and thought that Everton played with a real passion and deserved to win - Utd were simply outplayed on the night - Mr G Neville needs to wind in his adjectives - 'rancid' - hardly appropriate.

Why don't Goalie's stand up ? Wayne Hennessy of Palace is in the news for other reasons, (hundreds of articles on that 'Salute') showed a fine example of 'kneel down' keeping in a recent game. On his knees for a narrow angled shot that would have been chest level if he'd stood up. I see this 'fault' a lot and don't geddit.

Although Christian Walton, Wigan's keeper, lost his place for a while recently, I saw talk of a 4 million transfer. Then the next game, one popped up off his chest and the points were lost. Since then, several match winning performances from CW including Leeds away, and Wigan are now safe.

Aston Villa - 10 successive wins - is John Terry still there assisting ? The Play offs should be good - Leeds, Villa, WBA and ?

Glorious TUFC after securing the top spot, lose to Chippenham (again) and Hungerford at home with an NLS record crowd of 5,300  :) Jamie Reid at No.9 has 31 goals but none with his head - they say he can't get off the ground - a bit of coaching needed there.

And NOT to forget ole' Teess' Sunderland - 9 points will still do it M8 !
Good luck . .  :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:20:09 PM by Roger »

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »

Aston Villa - 10 successive wins - is John Terry still there assisting ?

Yes, full job title is Assistant Manager.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2019, 05:08:04 PM »

Thanks Caller re JT - I see a report today lauding his efforts in that role at Villa.

Until I read that Man Utd had lost 7 out of their last 9 games and hadn't scored in 3, I'd not quite realised how badly Man Utd's form had slumped. O G-S starting to sound a bit defensive and he needs to avoid that. I saw the 1st half against MCFC and I didn't think MUFC looked that bad and they still have a chance of making the top four if Chelsea slip :)

Danny Rose is disappointed at the leniency of Montenegro's punishment for racist chanting - one match behind closed doors versus Kosovo who no doubt have lots of black players. IMHO very lenient.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/danny-rose-racism-england-vs-montenegro-fans-racist-abuse-uefa-punishment-lost-for-words-a8888861.html

What an amazing race for the EPL top spot - a brilliant win for Liverpool last night 5-0 keeps the pressure on MCFC - Liverpool can get 97 points and MCFC 98 points IF they keep winning. Fantastic.

And very sad to hear :-

''Emiliano Sala's father has died, months after the footballer was killed in a plane crash in the English Channel, a politician has said. Horacio Sala, 58, died at his home in Progreso in Argentina's Santa Fe province, local media reported on Friday. The 28-year-old Argentine footballer, who had signed for Cardiff City, disappeared with the pilot of the Piper Malibu after it crashed in the waters north of Guernsey on January 21.''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/04/26/emiliano-salas-father-dies-heart-problem-just-months-sons-tragic/

I wonder if Cardiff will have to pay that fee ? There are reports Mr Sala senior was involved in booking the flight on which Emiliano died . . . . RIP both

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2019, 06:50:00 AM »

MMMmmmmmm . . .  :-\

''With a six-figure weekly pay cheque, it is safe to assume that a Premier League footballer’s hunt for a dream home in one of the UK’s wealthiest counties is a straightforward affair. But Liverpool midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has suggested that top players are running out of mansions in Cheshire – with many left “scrambling for a house” due to the high demand for luxury rental properties.

The county is home to an area nicknamed the “Golden Triangle”, which has five of the 10 most expensive roads in the North West and where property prices average more than £1.5 million. Estate agents say the desire for swimming pools, large gardens and modern houses is a key reason why the county is struggling to keep up with footballers hunting for a new home
.''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/03/premier-league-footballers-running-luxury-mansions-buy/

The situation seems different in Essex - Andy Carroll . .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6990557/Rod-Stewart-loses-3-4m-finally-sells-Essex-mansion-footballer-course.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 06:56:56 AM by Roger »

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2019, 06:25:16 PM »

I was reminded recently that Liverpool have only lost ONE game all season  :) That is an amazing achievement, 28 wins and 7 draws in 36 games.

I wondered who would be on top IF the old 2 points for a win and one for a draw was still in place . . . .

At 36 games played, I make it that Liverpool would be on top with 63 points and MCFC lagging on 62 points, (30 wins, 2 draws).

I'd like MCFC to win it, BUT, it's easily argued that Liverpool with just ONE defeat, deserve it more  :-\

The pressure on MCFC has been enormous, with Liverpool playing their fixtures first for many weeks - the heat is ON at 3 am this morning.

Anyone going to watch it ?

Teessider

« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2019, 08:10:43 PM »

I'll be watching Roger but then its only 20:00 here.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2019, 09:28:47 PM »

Teess - I'll just be waking up towards the end of - a quick look and then back to bed  ::)

Watched Hudds v Man Utd replay just now - the latter not that bad but panic is in the air - even Michael Carrick has grown a beard ! Cardiff's O G-S is already talking down his squad but he needs to build 'em up and motivate them. Maybe evolution not revolution . . .

Hudds Mbenza scored the equaliser, doing his Stuart Pearce model of hysterical behaviour, he runs over and kicks/breaks the corner flag - not even a yellow card. A case should be brought for criminal damage. I'm fed up with all this drama . . .

Alexei Sanchez is widely vilified for his obscene wages - but I thought he played OK - off injured - not surprising - why sign him at those wages if he's not going to play regularly. He ain't match fit ! Pogba, another hunted by the media, hits the bar twice in an otherwise unexceptional stint. Phil Jones - God only knows what he's paid as an honest journeyman - has just been given a new 4 1/2 year contract has he not ? Man Utd are their own worst enemies.

De Gea doesn't make a mistake but the Guy at the other end - whoops !

Man U's 'Chong', a shorter David Luiz with more hair and attacking skills, looks a good player - but will the Diana Ross approach work ? Soon we'll be reading his personal anguish about the shortage of suitable Mansions in the area.

Well done Hudds - good effort. Man Utd you're not Man City or Liverpool atm so not being top is just something to work at. Good Luck !

And TUFC are Champions by 10 points and 25 goals - next season won't be so easy  :-\

jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2019, 09:43:58 PM »

Roger
"the heat is ON at 3 am this morning"
Only 6 hour difference now so it wiil be a 2am kick-off for people here to watch, not 3am.
Enjoy tthe game if you watch it.
l will be sound asleep ( I hope )
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »

Correct Jivvy ! And an amazing EPL Sunday coming . . .

Liverpool take on Barca Tuesday night without Salah and Firminho due to injury and look likely to be knocked out of the Champions league   :(

Man City have a full week's rest !

On Sunday, Liverpool take on a feisty Wolves. Brighton may have a point to make after a miserable season.

The odds are for both at the top to win but ....   :-\

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2019, 10:47:18 AM »

Well done Liverpool - fantastic - I can see them winning the Cup now. In this mood, Liverpool will get past Wolves on Sunday, for certain   8)

Maybe an all England final   :-\

So Man City MUST win their game  :)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
A 'Full English' etc - 2018-2019
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »

English Clubs have had the European football giants for breakfast  :)
Well it's just a one off atm but an amazing one off nevertheless  :o 
Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, PSG, Bayern Munich and all will soon be back.

For Sunday's drama, K-F's EPL forecasters so far favour an MCFC win to be Champions - that'll be a tough ask after 13 (?) wins in a row and with Brighton/Hughton having a point to prove in the spotlight, after a poor season. Should be a good watch . . .

Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2019, 02:36:46 PM »

Some remarks if I may as still suffering from last Wednesday. You talk about English clubs now in both finals but how many English players? Chelsea 1, Arsenal 1, Liverpool 3, Tottenham 3. So out of 44 players on the pitches only 8 were English. The big money has really spoiled the sport IMHO. English clubs get so much money already from TV-pool, other countries like The Netherlands can never compete with. Besides that money rich billionaires want to have their own playtoy. Enjoy the finals, I will not be watching  :( :( :( :(
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7