Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Whither A Quiet Bar?  (Read 2657 times)

Ratsima

• Administrator
    • Out and About Thailand - Travel Blog
Whither A Quiet Bar?
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:09:39 AM »

When I first moved to Korat there were several quiet bars within cycling distance from my home to which I could peddle and enjoy a happy hour beer or two and some pleasant conversation. Those bars included The Irish Bar, The Walrus, PB (really a restaurant but with good beer), and Eddie Vegas.

All of those places are closed now, leaving those of us on the west side with no place to go.

Am I missing something? Please tell me that there is a pleasant hole-in-the wall somewhere nearby where I can sip on a pint without being accosted by loud music, a raucous game of pool or sports blaring on TV.

I know; I'm both dreaming and showing my advanced age.

Still….

jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Whither A Quiet Bar?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 10:53:50 AM »

I used to go to Steak Story,  near by the old Walrus.
It's really a restaurant but has tables and chairs out front where you can sit and relax.
Food is quite good there.
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

effy

• KFers in Korat
  • Just Arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 04:27:00 PM »

The west side eh? That's tough.

Manhattan but it's usually pretty quiet til 8 or 9pm or after. And not open til 5pm. Live music usually starts at 7:30pm. With acoustic American folk / rock from Chris ("Hobo Sermons") on Wednesdays, which is a major highlight IMHO.

Not on the westside, but some great places to try:

Shaking Glass (near "badoo pii" (ghost door) and Punjadara hotel) - A lovely Latvian girl names Ivonna and her (Thai) husband are the owners. Nice chill place early in the evening. Gets a bit loud / rowdy late at night but usually not til 10pm or after. Closed Mondays.

Hang Out Korat near Mumbar and Suansanook. (on the east side of old town) - The owner, May, is a lovely Thai girl married to a Scottish guy. Great cocktails, shots, and regular beer (Leo, Chang, etc.) May speaks English well. The sometimes don't open til 6pm or 7pm. But usually very chill all evening. And May does some great "mala" (spicy Szechuan Chinese BBQ). Closed Mondays.

Ratsima

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 04:34:53 PM »

Thanks, effy. What I'd like to do, and what I used to be able to do, is cycle some place, have a few happy hour beers around 5:00 and be home by 6:00 or so. Manhattan might do it….

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 06:06:09 PM »

Hey Effy. You seem an expert on the subject  ;)

'Shaking Glass' - is that right at the back of Punjadara ?

'Hang out Korat' Looks a good rec.

Thanks.

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

effy

• KFers in Korat
  • Just Arrived
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »

Hey Effy. You seem an expert on the subject  ;)

'Shaking Glass' - is that right at the back of Punjadara ?

'Hang out Korat' Looks a good rec.

Thanks.

I do... go out quite a bit. ;)

Shaking Glass: not at the back of Punjadara. But very close. I don't know the names of streets here but the location on their FB page is correct. Hopefully that helps. If not, let me know. https://www.facebook.com/ShakingGlassBarBBQ/

Hang Out Korat is awesome. I was there last night and had a great time. My Thai friends love trying the cocktails and shots there. I haven't seen many places in Korat (or even Bangkok) that do such great shots and cocktails as May at Hang Out. https://www.facebook.com/hangout.korat/

effy

• KFers in Korat
  • Just Arrived
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 05:52:56 PM »

Thanks, effy. What I'd like to do, and what I used to be able to do, is cycle some place, have a few happy hour beers around 5:00 and be home by 6:00 or so. Manhattan might do it….

Yeah that's SOOO early ;) Hard to find a good chill place at that time of day I think. But Manhattan does open at 5pm. Warning though: you'll probably be the only one there if you go that early. They have an awesome new bartender though. He used to work in Pattaya or Phuket and speaks English pretty well. He also does some fun bottle juggling bartender tricks. ;)

Ratsima

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »

Yeah that's SOOO early ;) Hard to find a good chill place at that time of day I think. But Manhattan does open at 5pm. Warning though: you'll probably be the only one there if you go that early. They have an awesome new bartender though. He used to work in Pattaya or Phuket and speaks English pretty well. He also does some fun bottle juggling bartender tricks. ;)

What happened to afternoon drinkers in Korat? In years past I could always count on a cold happy hour beer and some good company at places near me like PB or Eddie Vegas or Walrus or the Irish Bar. All those are gone now.

In Cha Am there's no end of places to have a seaside beer at happy hour.  Perhaps that's why I like it so much.

But, Korat? Such a strange place.

Robert

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 06:35:19 PM »

What happened to afternoon drinkers in Korat? In years past I could always count on a cold happy hour beer and some good company at places near me like PB or Eddie Vegas or Walrus or the Irish Bar. All those are gone now.

In Cha Am there's no end of places to have a seaside beer at happy hour.  Perhaps that's why I like it so much.

But, Korat? Such a strange place.

Ratsima,

maybe is has something to do with the average age of foreigners living in Korat? Before coming to live in Thailand I had my fare share of beer, single malt whisky etc  ;D ;D ;D.
To be honest I stopped drinking alcohol when I moved to Korat, have seen too many people go down the drain because of heavy drinking even in the morning hours.

If you think Korat a strange place why stay here? Everybody is entitled to live in the place he/she wants, correct me if I am wrong. F.y.i. I have travelled the whole world for over 55 years and some places I liked and some I did not like. Would not want to live in Cha Am/HuaHin anyway, first time I came to HuaHin was in 1987. Last time (some years ago) I left after 1 night already because I did not like it. If you like it up-to-you but not for me.

Have a nice day,
Robert

Ratsima

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 06:41:49 PM »

I quite liked Korat when I first moved here. I had a bunch of friends with whom I had lunch at Pasinee a couple of times a week. There were always interesting people with whom to converse at the places I listed above.

Now I spend most of my time alone. Aside from my wife I have no human contact except for 7Eleven clerks and baristas when I order coffee. I’ve never been so lonely.

Why do I stay? My wife has her family and her business here. Moving is out of the question for the time being.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 11:31:36 AM »

Ratsima, that's a very frank and open post - well done if I may say so. I remember another Poster talking about boredom - these are both issues for the Falang in Thailand - me included.

When I lived in Korat I used to meet Friends at lunchtimes maybe twice a week for a chat - that time soon passes if you only have a beer or two (which is my limit).

The Walrus is much missed but the Check Inn or G & D suffice for a meet when I am in Korat these days. I have often seen groups of Falang at coffee shops in the Mall.

Just a suggestion - K-F could nominate a central place for Members to meet for a chat say every Tuesday and Thursday - the Noon Club ?

Get out there M8 ! You'll go crazy without Company and there's lostsa good Guys around.

ATB
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 11:47:53 AM »

Ratsima, that's a very frank and open post - well done if I may say so. I remember another Poster talking about boredom - these are both issues for the Falang in Thailand - me included.

When I lived in Korat I used to meet Friends at lunchtimes maybe twice a week for a chat - that time soon passes if you only have a beer or two (which is my limit).

The Walrus is much missed but the Check Inn or G & D suffice for a meet when I am in Korat these days. I have often seen groups of Falang at coffee shops in the Mall.

Just a suggestion - K-F could nominate a central place for Members to meet for a chat say every Tuesday and Thursday - the Noon Club ?

Get out there M8 ! You'll go crazy without Company and there's lostsa good Guys around.
ATB

Check Inn closed about a year ago. The Monkey Bar is now at that location.

I agree the Walrus is much missed as is Steve.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Ratsima

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 12:14:46 PM »

IMHO, Korat now fits Gertrude Stein's description of Oakland: "There's no there there."

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 02:56:31 PM »

Derek I stand corrected and I should know better as I saw Stuart a few times in Cornwall when I was away. The Monkey Bar it is, although I must say - I really don't get the new name - very strange choice IMO. Yes the Walrus format and Steve himself are missed and I bet Steve's up there purring as he reads as much.

Ratsima - you ARE down about Korat - you wanna be careful or you'll end up lonely and doing Admin for some wacky Forum ! Oh that's happened . . .  ATB

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 03:10:02 PM »

Derek I stand corrected and I should know better as I saw Stuart a few times in Cornwall when I was away. The Monkey Bar it is, although I must say - I really don't get the new name - very strange choice IMO. Yes the Walrus format and Steve himself are missed and I bet Steve's up there purring as he reads as much.

Ratsima - you ARE down about Korat - you wanna be careful or you'll end up lonely and doing Admin for some wacky Forum ! Oh that's happened . . .  ATB

I guess the 3 partners see themselves as the 3 Monkeys. so hence the name.

I always thought Check Inn was a strange name as there is no Inn and there was already a thriving Thai bar called Check In in Korat when they opened.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 10:26:10 PM »

I first visited Korat in 2005 and got to know it on various visits where I usually stayed at the Sima Thani. I used the Irish Bar a few times and also The Walrus. I gave the G&D two chances and quit and sometimes popped in for an early beer at the Check Inn. Also the Sports Bar when it was in front of the condo. But no welcome there.

When I moved to Korat in September 2014, I enjoyed it, I got to know new areas, travelled out to Wang Nam Khiow and Khao Yai to get away from the mundane flatness of the City, enjoyed finding new places to eat and so on, but culturally, it's a desert and then, having visited other cities, started looking more critically at the place and decided I didn't like what I saw too much and hated the traffic, the grime, the same-same all the time and really felt it was time to move on.

Luckily, at around that time, my other half, who was a senior manager at The Mall, finally gave in and accepted promotion, which she didn't really want and had fought against, so off she went to work at the Companies head office in Bangkok, so naturally, I went as well. She still lives at the Condo the company initially paid the rent on, and it's where I am writing this from. But our main home is now Hua Hin (although she still has her own house in Hua Talay), which suits me much better and I enjoy coming to Bangkok as well. So, I am now surrounded by the sea and the hills of Hua Hins hinterland, I live in a well established resort well out of town, in a very quiet location, but just 15 minutes from the centre and I have all the things that interest me here and when they are lacking, I find them in Bangkok.

I admire you guys that manage and thrive in Korat and more power to your elbow, but if I had stayed there, I would have gone stir crazy, despite the fact, I remain, as I have always been, happy with my own company. But I have some nice neighbours I have got to know and become friendly with, we all keep to our own space, so to speak but get together as and when. So quite content now.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 12:05:46 PM »

Derek - so that's 'See no evil', 'Hear no evil' and 'Speak no evil' as in the 3 'wise' monkeys. In WikiP they say, ''There are various meanings ascribed to the monkeys and the proverb including associations with being of good mind, speech and action. In the Western world the phrase is often used to refer to those who deal with impropriety by turning a blind eye.''

Caller that's all interesting, your spot in Hua Hin sounds good. I have a Pal who has a place near Pak Nam Pran which is a lovely area.

Myself I lived at the Korat Resort in a lovely quiet spot so I didn't suffer the grime and traffic of the City. A couple of lunchtime outings to Korat each week were good - and the Check Inn on Fridays to enjoy the 'Heng Band' - that's my experience in 2010 -2016. What do I miss about Korat ?

Friends, The Heng Band, Check Inn, Sports Bar (Briony's day), Steve's Walrus, Korat Hotel restaurant, The Swatcats, Pittini, Garden Restaurant in Chok Chai, Bung Ta Lua and the local shops around Saudio where I'd imbibe a beer some nights.

Korat is not coming out of this thread well. If you live there - IMO there's lots to do even if you don't have the sea or the mountains. Lots. Wherever you live - get out there and make the best of it I say  ;)

Next visit to the great City, I'll be trying the 'Hang Out' place.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:16:41 PM by Roger »

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 03:47:48 PM »

Friends, The Heng Band, Check Inn, Sports Bar (Briony's day), Steve's Walrus, Korat Hotel restaurant, The Swatcats, Pittini, Garden Restaurant in Chok Chai, Bung Ta Lua and the local shops around Saudio where I'd imbibe a beer some nights.

Korat is not coming out of this thread well. If you live there - IMO there's lots to do even if you don't have the sea or the mountains. Lots.

But all you have talked of is food and beer! In that respect, you're right, they're available anywhere.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »

Not quite Caller - there's friends, music, football and bike riding and walking at Bung in that list. But food and beer figure do prominently in my retired life !

I'm just trying to say to you and Ratsima that Korat is not ALL that bad.

Yourself you seem to have a perfect set up admittedly - the HH area is interesting and even though I don't like BKK much, if I had a Condo, I'm sure I'd find something to do.

ATB

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 02:49:53 AM »

Korat is not coming out of this thread well. If you live there - IMO there's lots to do even if you don't have the sea or the mountains. Lots.

But all you have talked of is food and beer! In that respect, you're right, they're available anywhere.

Well not everywhere Caller, the 3 bars Roger mentions are all closed now :o
Pages: [1] 2 3 4