Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Whither A Quiet Bar?  (Read 2887 times)

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
Re: Whither A Quiet Bar?
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2018, 09:00:17 AM »

"What and where are those bars?
Do you really cycle 53K home at night, in the dark, after having a few beers? If so, you're a better man and a whole lot braver than I am."

No, I never cycle in the dark. I'm dumb but not stupid. I generally start and finish early (home before 18:00). If late, it's as a passenger with the bike in the back of a truck!

Bars are:
8k: Aribar (Ban Tako, Nhongbua Khong), my local. Swedish owned.
13k: Market Bar (Ban Prang, Nhongbua Khong), Thai owned.
23k: Reservoir Bar (Ban Non Thong, Nhongbua Khong), Thai restaurant.
36k: Same as 13k above but going the long way round!
53k: 1Bar (Chaiyaphum), British owned bar & restaurant

You must know Ken that looks like his bar list ;D
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Kev

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2018, 09:06:48 AM »

[3k: 1Bar (Chaiyaphum), British owned bar & restaurant
[/quote]

where is that bar and restaurant in Chaiyaphum please? When on holidays our place is in Chaiyaphum but never seen a decent place to have a drink yet.

dam12641

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »

"You must know Ken that looks like his bar list ;D"
I know you too Derek.  :o

dam12641

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2018, 09:38:04 AM »

"where is that bar and restaurant in Chaiyaphum please? When on holidays our place is in Chaiyaphum but never seen a decent place to have a drink yet."

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1137633-d7648264-Reviews-The_1_Bar_Restaurant-Chaiyaphum_Chaiyaphum_Province.html

It's about 300m (south) down the road from the big Tesco, on the other side of the road.

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2018, 03:43:00 PM »

"You must know Ken that looks like his bar list ;D"
I know you too Derek.  :o

Jolly good now I have to ponder who you are :o
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Kev

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2018, 05:20:50 AM »

Cheers thanks Dam will check it out next year when we come back on holidays :-)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2018, 06:26:16 AM »

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Ratsima

• Administrator
    • Out and About Thailand - Travel Blog
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »

Found it Ratsima !

Unfortunately, it's in Bangkok . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/dec/17/locals-guide-bangkok-thailand-10-top-tips#img-8

Right. Everywhere but here.

After living here for 13 years I've come to realize that moving to Korat was a huge mistake on my part.

Too late now….

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »

Ratsima that sounds a bit down  :(

Korat is more than OK - dare I ask if you've tried the 'Monkey Bar' for a quiet beer ? Though busy at weekends often, at your watering time, most weekdays, there's not a crowd.

Did you see that Xmas dinner on offer on 25th ?  ATB
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Ratsima

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »

What's there to do in Korat? Monkey Bar is too far to cycle to in the evening. There's no place within cycling distance of where I live for a beer. (There used to be.)

I mean, I'm not bored. I usually run out of time before I run out of things to do. But not having any friends or any place so socialize is depressing. I've never been so lonely.

And, I fully admit, that much of this is due to personality. I'm very shy to the point of having social anxiety problems.

But, I spent most of my adult life on Saipan where I had hundreds of friends and was never at a loss for something to do or someone to do it with: running, cycling, sailing diving, the Hash, work, great bars, etc.

Thank goodness I will be out of town for Christmas and New Year. I wait patiently each and every day for the next escape from Korat.

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2018, 11:12:50 PM »

What's there to do in Korat?

I started asking that question to myself after 12 months in Korat. I just couldn't see myself staying there in the long term. Luckily, after 18 months my other half was promoted and even though she still has managerial responsibilities at The Mall, she's now based in Bangkok. So rather than buy in Korat, we bought in Hua Hin - cheaper as well. Great for me, as I largely spend my time between Bangkok and Hua Hin. And now I enjoy my trips to Korat.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2018, 03:54:37 PM »

Hey Ratsima - where you going for Xmas ?

Before you leave you could have a 'slap up' Xmas lunch/dinner at G & D and chat to some Guys. I'm surprised you want to cycle when you go for an evening beer - I wouldn't cycle in Korat traffic myself. If you drive, Monkey can't be far.

I used to live at Korat Resort (Chok Chai direction) and only came to Korat 2/3 times a week for lunch or music in the evening. Though not living in Korat, I really don't didn't think it's that bad.

Wish you Happy Seasonals and a HAPPY New Year (in Korat). ATB

Ratsima

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2018, 11:41:22 AM »

Hey Ratsima - where you going for Xmas ?

We have a condo on the beach in Cha Am. We go there every holiday season and about once a month the rest of the year. This Christmas we're heading down on the 23rd and returning on the 1st or 2nd. I like Cha Am much better than Korat. There are things to do in Cha Am. And, you're right, Korat isn't bad. But it isn't much good, either.

As for cycling, it's my only option. We have one car and my wife needs that for her work. So, I cycle. If I were wealthy, I'd buy a car (and good wine and beer). But I am not, so I don't.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »

Hi Rats. I know Cha am a little and lived in 'Tropicana' for 6 months.

The Dee Lek Restaurant at North Beach and in the centre used to do a good Xmas lunch - turkey and all ! Highly recommended.

Used to enjoy music at Cha am 'Pub and Restaurant' and food at that place just down the road with all the clocks ? Funny ain't it ? I think there's MUCH more to do in Korat than Cha am . . Wednesday night market used to be quite sociable . . .

Did you ever go to the 'Ruen Soi Fah' restaurant just up the coast - close to those 3 Condo towers. It sadly closed now - was a favourite. ATB

Ratsima

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2018, 12:10:54 PM »

I think there's MUCH more to do in Korat than Cha am

Like what?

Thaiwolf

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2018, 12:21:05 PM »

You could go and watch the Swatcats lose.

Ratsima

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »

You could go and watch the Swatcats lose.

Case closed.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2018, 12:38:45 PM »

Rats - well I'd walk or bike ride around the beautiful Bung Ta Lua. You can swim at Kwan Ruen Park Hotel - they have a small Gym too. Play tennis at the King's Stadium - home of our glorious and triumphant football team - the Swatcats  8) where a certain Yammie may be found.

Meet some K-F's for a chat at Monkey Bar lunchtime or somewhere else. There seem to be a lotta coffee buffs imbibing in The Mall and other places.

That sorta stuff - plus looking after a house and garden used to keep me busy.

That's what ! If I was you I'd stay in Cha am and see the Missis weekends ! But don't tell her I said so  ;)

BTW I'm stuck in Toyota wiv nowt to do ! ATB

Ratsima

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2018, 12:54:22 PM »

That's the problem with Korat. To do anything you have to get into a vehicle and go somewhere. And then you're stuck dealing with miserable traffic and the problem of where to park.

I had to ride my bike yesterday into town to have the rear derailleur replaced at Wan Dee Bicycle shop (next to the old bus station). The ride there was miserable. Constantly being cut off by cars. Numerous near misses. I really hate that.

But, I do have a lovely cycling workout every morning in my neighborhood. Hardly any traffic at that hour and lots of interesting life to see on the way.

Every weekday I go out for coffee late morning. There are so many shops that I rotate. I enjoy that. But, in six or seven years of my daily coffee, I have yet to meet a single person. I never, ever see other Farang at any of the places I frequent.

I never said I'm not busy. I keep very busy. It's just that none of my activities involve interaction with other human beings. I've never been so alone and so lonely.

Teessider

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2018, 01:45:59 PM »

Ratsima, when you get back and if you fancy a chat over coffee or beer, I am not far from you I think - Homeland 3?
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4