Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Are you near a dam ?  (Read 249 times)

Roger

• Solid Member +
Are you near a dam ?
« on: August 06, 2018, 05:09:56 PM »

After the collapse of the dam in Laos, understandable concerns in the west of Thailand.

''MANY dams in the western region are rapidly filling up due to heavy downpours, with the situation at Kaeng Krachan Dam being of the greatest concern. The reservoir was expected to reach maximum capacity last night. The provinces of Phetchaburi, Kanchanaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan are bracing for floods, as the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) issued a warning yesterday that many of the large dams in the area were nearly full from continuous rains.

More water will have to be released from the dams to keep the levels stable, but it could cause floods in the downstream areas, the RID said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30351494

caller

• Solid Member
Re: Are you near a dam ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:42:05 PM »

I came through Phetchaburi on my way back from Bkk earlier and the usual area of flooding that affects the main route south, between the two hospitals, was all running smoothly, but it's not unusual to have flooding in the area, as they did last year. But no-one ever seems to ask whether something could be done to prevent such flooding, and whilst it's a generalisation, one thing I have learnt about Thai's, is that prevention and lateral thinking doesn't seem part of their mind set and why should it be, when the general populous take such crap year after year without ever challenging it?

As for Pranburi Dam, by coincidence, I went there on the 27th July and was somewhat taken aback to see how full it was. I think I posted these (poor phone) pics before, but it was pretty hairy weather. I watched a couple of guy's trying to fish, but the water was too choppy with quite large swells.

The Dam isn't too far from me, about a 20 minutes drive and it provides water for the south of Hua Hin including where I live (+ 2 on-site wells), so no fear of a drought. which is one good thing.

By the by, these pics were re-sized for forum use by postimage, where I store photos for use in forums! This is the only forum where the re-sizing doesn't seem to work. You can use your finger or cursor to scroll across each pic.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »

Thanks for those pictures of your very full dam. Your location outside HH will be ok surely - but the main road and the town ? Good luck.

HH in the BKK Post today:-

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/1517066/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:39:11 AM by Roger »

caller

• Solid Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 11:51:53 AM »

It's a really poor article from the BP. As the crow flies, I am between the Dan and Hua Hin Town, but not in a million years will any water from the dam reach there. As you can see, it's already being managed.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Petchkasem Road is completely blocked in the location I mentioned above, an hour north from Hua Hin, in Phetchaburi, as it usually does.

The flooding in Hua Hin is usually specific to a few areas and is due to the run off from the hills, high tides and poor infrastructure. So again, the Petchkasem Road in central Hua Hin tends to fllood to various levels whilst the water slowly drains, also at the top end of 112 and along 102, which always floods.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 05:19:21 PM »

Hi. Regarding this, ''no-one ever seems to ask whether something could be done to prevent such flooding''.

Chan has a flood relief system with about 10 km of 30 metre wide channels and many massive water gates to control the storm waters, draining to the estuary. Flooding seems to be a thing of the past here at least. I think it was a King's project - Bakhti Rambhai, completed a few years ago. I couldn't find any www links to it but it is really impressive - I dread to think what it cost.

Petchaburi, Hua Hin, and many other places would benefit from something similar.

Roger

• Solid Member +
Re: Are you near Bangkok ?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »

On the perennial subject of global warming and rising sea levels - here's an interesting one from the Grauniad :-

''Bangkok is sinking – fast. As urban development continues unabated, this city of more than 10 million people is getting lower by 2cm a year, according to Greenpeace estimates. Meanwhile, the surface of the Gulf of Thailand is rising by 4mm a year – above the global average.''

Being able to store 1 million gallons under 'Centenary Park' is obviously helpful - but surely this is not the answer in the long term ?

A note under one of the pictures ' ''Bangkok has just 3.3 sq m of green space per resident. The figure compares with 27 sq m in London and 66 sq m in Singapore''.

Worth a look IMVHO . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/oct/03/as-bangkok-sinks-could-this-anti-flood-park-be-the-answer

Coolkorat

• Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »

Very interesting article Roger. I know a guy who was one of the architects of the MRT and one of the key considerations was the flood risk (and hence the reason for the steps up to the entrances).

You have to wonder if there is a longer-term plan, and that 'somewhere else' is being lined up as the replacement capital city. This was an interesting line in the article: "he predicts that by 2100 the city will be mostly underwater. "
Pages: [1]