Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: US Tennis Open  (Read 129 times)

Teessider

US Tennis Open
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:24:57 AM »

This cartoon has caused some controversy. Seems fair comment to me.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• Solid Member +
Re: US Tennis Open
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 09:48:01 AM »

Well said Teess. Serena seems to have a chip 'par excellence'. I agree the cartoon is a fair comment and reflects Serena's appalling behaviour. Unattractive admittedly, but cartoon representations usually are  ;)

Serena likes to characterise any derogatory comment as 'sexist' or 'racist' - I hope the cartoonist doesn't rollover on this one :-

''Pleasingly, the Herald Sun’s editor, Damon Johnston, also has had the fortitude to support his cartoonist: ‘If the self-styled censors of Mark Knight get their way on his Serena Williams cartoon, our politically correct life will be very dull indeed.’ To reinforce the point, the paper ran this front page. In today’s offence-seeking climate, it is of course unlikely that any cartoon of a black woman will avoid condemnation for being racist and sexist; nonetheless, the notion that gender and skin colour should make someone immune from caricature and ridicule, and that they should not be held to the same standard of behaviour as anyone else, is itself both discriminatory and condescending.''

and  . . .

''Serena Williams is, by some margin, the world’s highest-paid female athlete. Her fortune was estimated last year at $170million or about £130million. Nevertheless, we are expected to accept the fiction that she remains a victim of oppression and that anyone mocking her is ‘punching down’. On the contrary, the true balance of power between Williams and Carlos Ramos was evident in Serena’s attempt to impose her presumed superiority by arrogantly threatening the umpire: ‘You will never, ever, ever be on a court of mine as long as you live.’ She might as well have resorted to the customary cry of the thwarted egomaniac: ‘Don’t you know who I am?’''

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/poor-little-serena-the-130million-victim-of-oppression/

It's a shame that the achievement of Naomi Osaka's first Grand Slam win has been overshadowed. Well done to her  :)

Anton

• Forumphile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »

Seems fair comment to me.

1. Shame on Serena for behaving like that. She deserved the cartoon IMHO.
2. Ramos' umpiring not totally irreproachable. He would deserve his own little cartoon, too IMHO.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 09:58:36 AM »

The suggestion from Williams that Umpire Ramos would not have 'called' his decisions if a Mr rather than a Mrs was playing, is ridiculous IMO - no disrespect Serena, but confronting you and your chip takes rather more courage than confronting any male player.

“Carlos Ramos is one of the most experienced and respected umpires in tennis,” the statement said. “Mr Ramos’s decisions were in accordance with the relevant rules and were reaffirmed by the US Open’s decision to fine Ms Williams for the three offences[/i].”''

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/11/tennis-umpires-union-serena-williams-us-open-final-carlos-ramos
Pages: [1]