Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In memory of Steen, The Odd Viking. You will be sadly missed. Our sincere condolences to Steen's family and friends. 

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Brazil ?  (Read 1038 times)

Roger

• Solid Member +
Brazil ?
« on: October 12, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »

Just an excuse to listen to John Oliver really but I remember CK that you have some connection with that fine Country ? Brazil is going through Elections atm and some interesting Candidates are standing  ???   ???

https://youtu.be/FsZ3p9gOkpY

Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Re: Brazil ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 05:27:02 PM »

Just an excuse to listen to John Oliver really but I remember CK that you have some connection with that fine Country ? Brazil is going through Elections atm and some interesting Candidates are standing  ???   ???

https://youtu.be/FsZ3p9gOkpY

My other 'alf is Brazilian (god help me).

It's a beautiful country run by corrupt lunatics. If Brazil had been colonised by the British, French, Dutch, Germans (i.e. any N European country) it would rival the USA. A place of enormous potential hamstrung by its people. They are friendly, hospitable, bureaucratic, hedonistic and disorganised. The levels of violence are shocking: when staying at wife's aunt's house in Sao Paulo I was told not to speak English close to the street just in case someone passing heard and we became a target. Brazil has the highest rate of private helicopter ownership - it is safer for the rich to fly (and fly their kids to school) than drive. During the carnival, gangs surround hapless unsuspecting tourists dancing in the crowds and rob them. Every driver in Sao Paula carries small amounts of money they can get access to; it is common for anyone stopped at traffic lights to have a (real) gun pointed at them with a demand for cash. Happened to my wife. Add to that the cost of getting there and Brazil has very little appeal. There is almost no heritage - Brazil is 500 years old but almost nothing was created for most of that time - and very little culture. There are no 'great sites' to visit other than Christ the Redeemer in Rio and the Iguazu Falls and they are 1,500km apart. It's not Mexico with the Aztecs, or Peru with Incas, or Equador with the volcanos and Galapagos islands.

A friend, married to a Brazilian at the time, taught business English. At the time when Iran was threating to block the Straits of Hormuz he was asked by his class of university-degree educated students why the UK was becoming involved: they saw it as someone else's problem. He explained to them that Brazil gets most of its oil from the Gulf and that defending trade routes and free movement of important resources was (and is) imperative to the global economy. He could tell by their faces that this simply never occurred to them: "someone else" (i.e. the US and allies) would naturally protect them. Why should Brazil get involved? Sums them up. Go to the beach, drink and dance. Someone else will sort the problems and pay the bill.

I think my contract with the Brazilian tourism board is in doubt.....

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:05:34 PM »

CK - re. the contract - I think you may end up as the target for one  :(

Seriously, I remember stories of homeless Kids being shot by Police squads in Brasilia and Rio at night. And 60,000 murders a year PLUS is shocking.

Thanks for those interesting memories - do you visit often ?
Planning to go again ?  ATB

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 06:56:23 PM »

CK, if you are married to a Brazilian what on earth are you doing in Thailand?

I thought you lived on the Isle of Man :o
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:11:56 PM by dereklev »
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 07:49:42 PM »

CK, if you are married to a Brazilian what on earth are you doing in Thailand?

I thought you lived on the Isle of Man :o

Long story Derek! I do live on the IOM. And have connections to both Thailand and Brazil. I'd chose Thailand any day of the week.

Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 07:57:46 PM »

do you visit often? Planning to go again? 

I don't go so often. I could fly to Thailand for 30% less than a trip to Brazil, and Thailand has better food, great beaches, less crime, etc.

Perhaps someday the Brazilians will wake from their slumber and sort themselves out. But they won't. They'll expect the neighbour to do it for them. Annoyingly for Brazilians, the neighbour is Argentina, and Brazilians hate the Argentinians.

TheOddViking

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 01:38:33 AM »

Coolkorat, your description of Brazil is probably spot on.  It was interesting to read  Thanks for sharing.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 07:48:11 AM »

Well CK. It's President Bolsonaro of Brazil - a 55.7% vote.

South America's major Nation now has a Trump like right wing Leader. I heard comments that Venezuela will now be completed isolated and that the Amazon basin will be a candidate for industrialization  :(

Bolsonaro takes a very tough view on social matters (pro-gun, pro-torture) and one wonders how Brazil will fare under his tender touch  ::)

Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 08:36:10 PM »

I'm very surprised at how many of my wife's relatives and friends are pleased that he has won. But Brazilians are not great at seeing what happens in the rest of the world, and what the poisonous rhetoric this man spews may spawn. I see Trump has already phoned him; Trump must be thrilled.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 11:08:31 AM »

CK you say - ''Brazilians are not great at seeing what happens in the rest of the world''.

That's true in many places  around the World. Your Wife's contacts in Brazil are all probably 'good' people on the right side of life in Brazil - I mean relatively prosperous ?

Maybe Bolsonaro will calm down now he has the responsibility of power ?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:28:56 AM by Roger »

Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 04:13:11 PM »

Hopefully, but he has terrible role models in Trump, Putin et al. They have created a playbook that authoritarian/ dictatorial leaders can easily emulate and Bolsonaro seems keen to do exactly that!

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 05:03:32 AM »

Strewth and double strewth CK  :o 

Jair Bolsonaro's inauguration: the day progressive Brazil has dreaded

''Few doubt the far-right populist – who took power on Tuesday – is serious about transforming the world’s fourth largest democracy or that his presidency will be an unpredictable and ill-tempered affair. Perhaps no area faces a greater shake-up than the environment. To the horror of the environmentalists he so loathes, Bolsonaro has repeatedly signalled a desire to roll back environmental protections and make it easier to destroy the world’s biggest rainforest. Deeds have accompanied those words.''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/01/jair-bolsonaro-inauguration-progressive-brazil-rainforest-protections-police

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/31/tribes-brazil-genocide-jair-bolsonaro
Pages: [1]