Korat-Farang.com

Europe now !

Roger · 13 · 568

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
In Europe's powerhouse economy, plenty to ponder :-

''I live among the neo-Nazis in eastern Germany. And it’s terrifying''.

'' . . . largely unnoticed were the attacks on foreigners and asylum hostels. More than 4,000 have occurred since 2015, some involving the use of molotov cocktails, baseball bats, and with armed neo-Nazis even raiding children’s rooms. In 2016, an average of 10 hate crimes each day against migrants was officially registered''.

''The towns and villages that have a Nazi problem form a seemingly endless list now. It doesn’t stop at Chemnitz or Dresden. Looking at Europe more generally, it’s clear that fascism must be fought at a grassroots level – and that means being there, physically''.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/31/neo-nazi-eastern-chemnitz-germany-saxony

''Merkel's long goodbye will be severe test for troubled continent''.

''The chancellor’s weakness at home could well limit her capacity to lead – or at least, provide stability – in the EU at a time when the bloc is dealing with Brexit, a budget crisis in Italy and the prospect of populist parties making big gains in the European parliament elections next May''.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/29/angela-merkel-to-step-down-vacuum-eu-politics

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Hi Roger,

wonder why you publish this about Europe? I can easily find same kind of stories about UK but prefer not to throw mud. If the Uk wants to leave EU no need for these kind of stories. They are true but like I said I can recall stories about citizens of another country which is in your commonwealth. Your history in the colonies are also not to good (like ours by the way). Israel and Palestine maybe another example?

Just watched a movie called Hurricane (2018). It is about 303 squadron of Polish pilots who had the highest rate of shooting down German planes in WW2. They were not invited to the victory march and if movie is correct one Polish pilot was asked to leave England in 3 days after the war was finished.

Have a nice day.

Robert
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:10:20 PM by Robert »

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I'm not throwing mud Robert - just observing - it's the 'News'. Mrs Merkel's generous attitude to Immigrants in 2015 seems to have had repercussions including her own demise. But I'm quick to admit the UK has more than it's fair share of problems too and I often post about it. Regarding the historical matters you mention - yes the Brits have much to answer for (IMO).

The film you mention seems interesting - my Dad was a young RAF 'Engineer Pilot Officer' with the 'Forces Aeriennes Francais Libres', working with the Cigoinnes 329 Squadron (Spitfires) from 1942 and later to Foggia, Italy with a squadron of 'Liberators'.

ATB
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
The lead article is an opinion piece put forward by a young activist. I'm sure there are issues as he records. But it would have been nice to see some balance, or another perspective.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
That's true Caller - I did notice that.

''I'm sure there are issues as he records''. Agreed. That's all. And your comment is ?

We could have fun with looking at issues in Europe including the UK . . . IMHO

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

''I'm sure there are issues as he records''. Agreed. That's all. And your comment is ?

I don't really have any other comment. I had no previous knowledge about such matters being as bad as described.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
''Huge plumes of smoke were seen on one of France's most iconic streets today, as protesters burned large plywood sheets, chairs and other material in demonstrations against planned fuel hikes. A water cannon and rounds of teargas were also used by riot police against thousands of French 'Yellow Vest' fuel protesters in Paris today as the Champs Elysee was reduced to a battlefield.

The grassroots movement is campaigning against a what is believes to be a general decline in living standards across the country, and the recent decision to raise fuel prices. The worst violence took place on the most famous avenue in the city where a huge crowd called for President Emmanuel Macron to resign. By 11am, clouds of tea gas covered the Champs Elysee, and especially the area close to the place de la Concorde
.''

Marine Le Pen has been blamed by some for inciting these events but I don't know if that holds up on examination. Over the years it seems the French have certainly showed a talent for rioting. This DM article has many outstanding if troubling pictures.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6424117/Paris-riot-police-blast-water-cannon-demonstrators-protesting-Macrons-fuel-tax-rise.html

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
This is absolutely appalling  :o  Hard to believe this can happen in a European City.

''The centre of Paris was on lockdown tonight after masked protesters stole an assault rifle from police, clashed with riot squads and set fire to cars and Christmas trees on the Champs-Elysees in furious demonstrations against the French government. Protesters said today's actions were 'the start of a revolution' that would eclipse the mass strikes and occupation of universities and factories in 1968 when the country was on the cusp of civil war.''

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6449407/Fresh-violence-Paris-riot-police-use-tear-gas-batons.html

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
The sad thing IMO is that such disorder could easily take place in other European countries - the immediate cause is thought to be Macron's fuel taxes but the persistent growth of inequality is thought to be motivating or 'providing the excuse' for extremists.

Macron wants to talk to the Leaders - I've heard comment that they might be hard to find. Where is Mr Facebook and Mrs Twitter ? It's a big problem. Vive La France !

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1053879/paris-riots-france-protests-police-emmanuel-macron-latest-france-news

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Truly shocking to see troubles in Belgium too as Macron's problems in France continue. I really believe that persistent and growing inequality is part of the fuel for these strifes. Thankfully it's so cold in the UK atm the streets are calm but this may not last.

''Belgian riot police used tear gas and water cannon on Sunday to disperse thousands of people protesting in Brussels against a UN migration pact. Demonstrators held aloft banners bearing slogans including "Our people first" and "We have had enough, close the borders."

'The protest outside the European Union headquarters in Brussels was organised by Flemish Right-wing parties and had initially been banned, but the ban was overturned this weekend by Belgium's high court, which cited the right to protest. A minority of the estimated 5,500 demonstrators became violent when they were asked to disperse and began throwing paving stones, street furniture and and firecrackers at security forces near the European Commission building. Police responded with tear gas and water cannon
.''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/16/brussels-police-use-tear-gas-water-cannon-far-right-activists/

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
It's the UK's turn  :(  I could hardly register this succession of UK horrors in just one admittedly 'Daily Mail' day . . . . But what's the point of this post ? Just a reminder for me and whoever who might think about the good 'ole UK so fondly, to put matters in perspective. In the immortal words of Michael Moore, ''Dude, where's my Country ?' . . .

''The doorman stabbed in Mayfair on New Year's Eve died protecting wealthy clients at a flamboyant party run by disgraced self-styled aristocrat Lord 'Fast Eddie' Davenport, it has been claimed. The peer, known for his opulent sex parties, was seen helping with the payments on the door at the exclusive late night 'after-party' when thugs tried to storm their way into the Park Lane venue where Arab princes, tycoons and revellers were celebrating.''

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6548521/Doorman-stabbed-Mayfair-New-Years-Eve-died-protecting-wealthy-clients.html

''A hero police sergeant who was stabbed as he helped foil a suspected New Year's Eve terror attack said he had no idea what he was running towards after he heard people screaming. Sergeant Lee Valentine was one of three people injured in the knife attack at Manchester Victoria station at about 9pm on Monday. A 25-year-old man, who was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, is now detained 'in a secure medical facility' but police warned today it could be months before a decision is made on whether he'll be charged.''

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6547585/Family-terror-suspect-held-Manchester-knife-attack-send-prayers-victims.html

''Huge rats are terrorising a street as overflowing bins and fly-tipping attract the vermin, whose dead bodies litter the estate. A horrified resident has slammed Sheffield City Council for not cleaning up his street and says the rodents have roamed on the estate for years.''

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6547961/Were-living-FILTH-Hideous-photos-reveal-estate-rife-RATS-overflowing-bins.html

''Designer watches, wedding rings and diamond-encrusted jewellery were among £2million worth of stolen goods recovered from an Aladdin's Cave of items burgled by a smash-and-grab traveller gang. Detectives have released images of the massive haul, which also included rare coins and antique stopwatches, after jailing gang members who carried out more than 200 properties in Cambridgeshire during an 11-month crime spree in 2017. The criminals would mask their faces using balaclavas and smash or force open doors or windows in broad daylight before fleeing in stolen high-powered sports cars.''

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6548621/Aladdins-Cave-goods-stolen-traveller-gang-11-month-crime-spree-Cambridgeshire.html

'' . . . the group of six twenty-somethings allegedly ducked out of a side door after running up a bill of £225 at his Pier House restaurant. The three men and three women enjoyed food and drinks on Saturday night at the beachfront bistro in the village of Westward Ho! in Devon before running off. Rob posted CCTV of the group legging it down the road on social media, to 'remind' them that they had 'forgotten' to pay saying police wanted to speak to them.''

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6547295/Restaurant-owner-shares-CCTV-six-diners-including-three-women-doing-runner-leaving-225-bill.html

''A conman builder who duped a pensioner out of his £35,000 life savings could now get off having to pay his victim compensation. Mark Bibby was spared jail for conning elderly John Gardner out of thousands for shoddy work at his home in Portsmouth. The 49-year-old admitted charges and was ordered to pay back £500 a month for the next five years to his victim. But he's now gone back to court insisting £800 in motoring fines he faces mean he can't repay the elderly victim. After magistrates reduced the compensation order to £100 a month, a court has now ordered another review which could see if knocked down further.''

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6548323/Portsmouth-builder-conned-pensioner-35-000-repairs-paying-compensation.html

Plenty to sort out in the UK once we've got this bl**dy Brexit sorted  ;)

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Whilst observing the horrors of continuing riots in France, I'm happy that this has not YET been aped in the UK - maybe when the hot summer weather arrives  :( 

In beleagured France, with cars, buildings burnt and looted in these protests, at what stage should the Authorities consider using live ammunition ?  :-\

''Yellow vest demonstrators have again clashed with riot police in the French city of Toulouse as President Emmanuel Macron prepared a series of policy announcements aimed at quelling 22 consecutive weekends of anti-government protests.

The southern city resembled a war zone today as police fired teargas and arrested several people after hundreds of demonstrators started throwing objects, burning rubbish bins and trying to enter areas where protests have been banned
.''

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6919045/Yellow-Vest-violence-explodes-Toulouse-2-000-protesters-hurl-missiles-riot-police.html

For some balance, as the UK continues to waste money on HS2  ::)  some of our Folks have these joys to live with :-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6919197/Inside-Hulls-rundown-street.html

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
''German economy in 'freefall' as exhausted Draghi loses his magic

German industry is in the deepest slump since the global financial crisis and threatens to push Europe’s powerhouse economy into full-blown recession. The darkening outlook is forcing the European Central Bank to contemplate ever more perilous measures.

The influential Ifo Institute in Munich said its business climate indicator for manufacturing went into “free fall” in July as the delayed damage from global trade conflict takes its toll and confidence wilts. It goes far beyond the woes of the car industry. More than 80pc of Germany’s factories are in outright contraction The Ifo plunge follows warnings from IHS Markit that manufacturing activity for the wider eurozone has dropped to levels last seen in the depths of the 2012 European debt crisis.

Clemens Fuest, Ifo president, said Germany’s forward-looking gauge of business expectations saw the steepest fall since early 2009. “All the problems are coming together. It’s China, it’s increasing protectionism across the board, it’s disruption to global supply chains,” he said
.''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/07/25/german-economy-free-fall-exhausted-draghi-loses-magic/