Korat-Farang.com

Asia Bibi in Pakistan

Roger · 3 · 624

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Asia Bibi - this luckless Christian woman had a row with a neighbour who invoked the 'blasphemy' law. She has been acquitted after spending many years in jail but cannot now leave Pakistan.

''Asia Bibi, the Christian farm labourer whose blasphemy case has triggered violent protests and assassinations in Pakistan, has been freed from jail but remains in protective custody, a week after the country’s supreme court overturned her conviction. Officials said that she left a detention facility in the Punjab province amid tight security on Wednesday and was flown to Islamabad, where she was at a secure location because of threats to her life.''

I wonder if Imran Khan can stand up to this violent mob rule ?

Khan swept to power earlier this year on promises to restore the rule of law, to champion the oppressed and marginalised and to deliver justice. His party is, after all, called the Movement for Justice,” said Omar Waraich of Amnesty International.''

I can hardly imagine the brutality of these events. How much do the 'West' give to Pakistan in foreign aid ? Very substantial amounts I guess.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Pakistan HAS managed to get Asia Bibi out of Pakistan, to Canada . .

Well done Prime Minister Imran Khan for standing up to these extremists at last 
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Some good news on France 24 yesterday, Asia Bibi in France, meeting President Macron and applying for asylum after a year in Canada. She looks well.

8 years chained up in solitary confinement on 'Death Row'     >:(

"In Canada, she lives with her husband and daughters in a three-bedroom apartment in an undisclosed location. She told French media this week she was hopeful things would change to allow her and her family to return to Pakistan one day. “I really hope for it, just the way I kept hope when I was in jail that one day I was going to be free,” she said. Bibi said she was grateful for the prayers of fellow Christians around the world who had helped her remain strong before her release.In her book, Bibi recounts how she was kept chained in prison and jeered at by other detainees. A devout Catholic, she said she had never committed blasphemy: “I cannot even think of insulting any prophet. I didn’t say anything. It was all about a glass of water.” "

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/asia-bibi-pakistani-woman-jailed-203355473.html

https://www.france24.com/en/20200228-asia-bibi-pakistani-christian-woman-jailed-for-blasphemy-i-forgave-all-those-who-harmed-me
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:55:05 AM by Roger »