Korat-Farang.com

Getting old and looking after your health

ken kenobie · 21 · 4241

Offline ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat
As some one who is getting on in years I am trying to stay positive by doing what I can when it comes to my health. I try and watch what I eat , drink very little alcohol ( one small tin of Chang a day and the occasional bottle of wine ) and get out on my mountain bike as much as possible.

I have regular medical checkups to see what my cholesterol levels are like , and I check my blood pressure once a week at home . Ive been fairly lucky up to now and had no serious medical problems ,but I know that could change at any moment. So what do other old timers here do to try and stay healthy, do you do any of the above like me or as one friend keeps telling me , eat , drink and be merry and don’t worry about tomorrow ;D

Ken

★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Offline rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
  • Solid Member
    • Rokits Pictures

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
How old are you Ken ?  I'm 71 . .

BTW that BP in your pic is exemplary  :)  I wish I could claim the same !

I agree - watch what you eat and your weight, (I avoid salt, fat and sugar), drink moderately and take exercise as much as possible, for me, bike riding - 70km per week, swimming - 20 lengths twice a week and walking the hills when I can - 4 out of the last 5 days, and so on. No smoking ! But 2 bottles of beer daily  ;)

You seem pretty much in good shape. Important to have some fun too. ATB

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Ratsima

Generally, I only go to the doctor if I'm bleeding and can't stop it by myself. My last checkup was about 20 years ago.

I did have cataract surgery earlier this year. The upside to this is that I no longer need reading glasses.

Oh, yeah, I do see the dermatologist once a year and have had a few minor carcinomas removed.

After I retired and moved here I put on a lot of weight. I was up to 87 kilos. I'm now down to 77 and holding for quite some time.

I take my blood pressure frequently. It's "elevated".

I try to eat well, but don't always succeed.

I drink way to much, but I pin that mostly on the misery of living in Korat. When I'm away from Korat I still drink too much, but I pin that on the knowledge that I'm gonna have to go back.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Ratsima what's 'elevated'. For many decades Doctors were happy with 140 / 90 but the new advice is 120 / 80   8)  I'm guessing the Pharmas were keen to sell more BP drugs !

You lost 10 KG - wow !
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Ratsima

Elevated is systolic between 120 and 129 and diastolic below 80. My average over time is 126/73.

Yeah, ten kilos lost. Less beer. Better diet. More fruit.

I held at 80 for several years, but made the effort to get down to 77 (BMI just under 25) and have held that for nearly a year now.

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Quote from Ratsima
I did have cataract surgery earlier this year. The upside to this is that I no longer need reading glasses.

I too have cataracts.
May I ask where did you have it done and what was the cost?

One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Ratsima

I had the cataract surgery at Bumrungrad. I had the Tecnis Symphony interocular lenses implanted in both eyes. They work very well for me. The total cost was about 62,000 baht. My health insurance (Blue Cross) paid all but about 6000 baht.

It takes quite some time for your brain to learn how to use the multifocal lenses. Six months on I'm still noticing improvement. I haven't used reading glasses since the surgery, but I do have difficulty with very tiny print and low-light situations.

I can read a Kindle novel on my iPhone (6s) without glasses. For me, this is huge.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Jivvy. My top Pal Ed in Korat, had a cataract done in St Mary's 2 weeks ago. It's 100% I'm told. Dunno the cost. Will find out. I've got the start of same as told by Specsavers UK but my vision is great atm. (In a few years me too).

Rats. Bumrungrad top Hospital ! Lotta Sheikhs ?

Story about cataracts - my ex Missis - 25 years ago - Mum of my 3 Boys.
Her Gran - Peggy Reiss-Smith - I used to visit her in Ferring when at Bognor Regis to see my retired Parents when working in London.

No one else would visit said Gal - a strong Lady  8)  I arrived a week after her op at her 'Cheshire Homes' place. She sat there very sad, TV on, (she loved snooker), Steve Davies playing. After chatting a few minutes, suddenly she swivelled around and said, ''did you see that''. SD had made a brilliant shot and she saw it all. Little bigger. (She won't mind me telling).

Get it done. New lease of life. In India they do one every 5 minutes at cost £10 (or something like that).

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
How old are you Ken ?  I'm 71 . .

BTW that BP in your pic is exemplary  :)  I wish I could claim the same !

I agree - watch what you eat and your weight, (I avoid salt, fat and sugar), drink moderately and take exercise as much as possible, for me, bike riding - 70km per week, swimming - 20 lengths twice a week and walking the hills when I can - 4 out of the last 5 days, and so on. No smoking ! But 2 bottles of beer daily  ;)

You seem pretty much in good shape. Important to have some fun too. ATB

Hi Roger

I’m 69 and not looking forward to my next birthday  >:(

My BP number always surprises me , even to the extent of testing my home PB machine out on as many people as I can . It seems that the BP machine is working correctly.

Funnily enough in the past Ive never been one to think much about exercise or watching what I eat that phenomena only started to raise its head when I retired to Thailand and the realization that I was now entering the old age twilight tunnel . Your diet and exercise regime sound very sensible. I have never ever smoked , and I’m sure that may play a little part in me still being around .

On a side note ,  we both seem to be taking care of our health when it comes to diet and exercise but one area related to being in our age bracket that I some times find hard to contemplate , is coming to terms with the inevitable , that inescapable approaching end when a cloaked skeleton wielding a large scythe , comes knocking at my door.  I know he’s coming , but I don’t want to go  :'( .  How are dealing with the knowledge that one day there will be a knock on your door from a man in dark hooded robe .  ;)

Ken

★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
Generally, I only go to the doctor if I'm bleeding and can't stop it by myself. My last checkup was about 20 years ago.

Oh, yeah, I do see the dermatologist once a year and have had a few minor carcinomas removed.

After I retired and moved here I put on a lot of weight. I was up to 87 kilos. I'm now down to 77 and holding for quite some time.

I take my blood pressure frequently. It's "elevated".

I try to eat well, but don't always succeed.

I drink way to much, but I pin that mostly on the misery of living in Korat. When I'm away from Korat I still drink too much, but I pin that on the knowledge that I'm gonna have to go back.

An interesting view  , a few things that stood out . The last medical checkup was 20 years ago , I’m wondering how old you are ? .  The weight loss and managing the difficult part of keeping it off is very encouraging  . The drinking to much and the culprit firmly laid at Korat’s door , now can that be really true , can Korat be that  intimidating  :)

Ken

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Jivvy - spoke to Ed today and he says he can 'see for bloody miles'  8)

The operation on the one eye cost B25,000 at St Mary's and the result is a dramatic improvement. No bungee jumps etc. for a few weeks after the op.

Ed will have the other eye done next month. ATB

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Thanks Roger, that's good to know.
On UK pension so I will have to save some pennies up so I can have done later this year
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Cakes, fried chicken, pizza, sugary drinks, sauces, sweets, crisps - all feature on the opening photo on this DT article . . . . Also, long suspected, prepack salads - presumably because of the attendant mayonnaise etc.

''Eating white bread and ready meals could be killing us, according to the first major study linking “ultra-processed” food with early death. The study of 45,000 middle-aged people found that every 10 per cent increase in intake of “ultra-processed food” was linked to a 14 per cent increased risk of death within the next eight years.

Previous research has linked consumption of foods like white bread, ready meals, sausages, sugary cereals, fizzy drinks to a higher risk of high blood pressure and cancer. But the new study is the first major investigation linking high consumption of processed foods to higher overall mortality rates
.''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/11/modern-diets-could-killing-us-suggests-major-study-ultra-processed/

Online KiwiCanadian

Comes back to the old saying "We are what we eat" and that goes for most of the meds we take too.
I have started to turn things around from my passed habits, a long way to go yet but in 2 years I have lost 21 KG and dropped 3 of the 4 meds that the quacks had me on, I am feeling a lot better but still need more work on the aging Bod!

There is a lot of good info out on the www but you have to co-relate this with your own situation, plus a lot of untruths also.

KC
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
Comes back to the old saying "We are what we eat" and that goes for most of the meds we take too.
I have started to turn things around from my passed habits, a long way to go yet but in 2 years I have lost 21 KG and dropped 3 of the 4 meds that the quacks had me on, I am feeling a lot better but still need more work on the aging Bod!

There is a lot of good info out on the www but you have to co-relate this with your own situation, plus a lot of untruths also.

KC

KC , great going . I have a home blood pressure monitor and keep an eye on my BP numbers , do you keep an eye on your BP ?

Ken

Online KiwiCanadian

Yes I do have a BP cuff but haven't used it in the passed 3 weeks, I know at times when I get elevated BP.
One Dr said when we take your BP in the clinic your BP rate is high due to just traveling to the clinic, take your readings at home in a relaxed atmosphere, record them and the time of day then bring the results to me and I will then judge from that information. Try taking your BP while meditating, you might be surprised. He was one of the better Dr's I had, most just wanted to treat the symptom not the cause.

I am trying to understand more about my broke old Bod, day by day, just to get the most out of what's left.

KC

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
Yes I do have a BP cuff but haven't used it in the passed 3 weeks, I know at times when I get elevated BP.
One Dr said when we take your BP in the clinic your BP rate is high due to just traveling to the clinic, take your readings at home in a relaxed atmosphere, record them and the time of day then bring the results to me and I will then judge from that information. Try taking your BP while meditating, you might be surprised. He was one of the better Dr's I had, most just wanted to treat the symptom not the cause.

I am trying to understand more about my broke old Bod, day by day, just to get the most out of what's left.

KC

This getting old is some thing of a curse  ::)

The doctors request about the blood pressure sounds right , I know when I have been to a Thai hospital and first had my BP taken , the results are normally way higher than my relaxed at home BP readings.

Try taking your BP while meditating , now that’s some thing I have never heard of .

I took my BP readings a few minuets ago at home.

The only time when I take my BP at home and the results seem higher than normal , is just after me and the wife have been talking about her mother requesting money  ;D

Ken

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Just checked at home...126/77
Yesterday evening at the Mall clinic ...154...but I had been rushing about a bit
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:59:08 AM by jivvy »
- Socrates

Online KiwiCanadian

Just home from the mall now, 3 readings.
130-75-66
wait 5 min.
119-74-67
another 5 min
117-66-64
3 yrs ago I was on 3 different meds fo BP, I took myself of 2 of them but still use Acupril 20 daily. I always do 3 readings back to because the 1st one is usually a little higher. I should wait 5 min after putting the cuff on then press start, lol.

kC