Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Looking back  (Read 122 times)

ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat
Looking back
« on: December 18, 2018, 01:22:19 PM »

I was raised in a working class environment , my father was a gruff strict disciplinarian and mother a wouldn't say boo to a goose lovely woman. As a teenager I had dreams of becoming a doctor or lawyer , but as money was tight my father insisted that I get a real job, a real mans trade. So I ended up finding a five year electrical engineers apprenticeship . After finishing the apprenticeship I was tired of working in a factory environment , so I found a job as an assistant stage electrician at a  provincial theater,  eventually rising to the position of master electrician.  Looking back I wish I had  some how gone down another route and attempted to end up working in the world of medicine or law. I think that many members here are now retired and I know the range of trades or professions have changed over the years , but any one else here now wish they had gone down a different work path than the one they finally ended on.

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Looking back
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 02:28:16 PM »

Life's full of regrets!

But your question is an easy one for me. Once I realised that I was never going to be good enough to play for Chelsea, to my surprise, I was told I had a small talent for art. I was always interested in art, but from about the 3rd year onwards (as it was in those days, for a comp), I was increasingly interested in drawing and painting, so much so that my art teacher began really pushing me to consider art college. He always talked of Goldsmiths and I got an A for my art O level and was preparing to stay on for my A's.

But even before the results of the exams were known, I would still go into school to paint and draw and meet friends in our common room. One day, there was a message for me to go to see my housemaster. We had never really got on, I don't know why and when I met with him, he told me he basically thought there was no benefit in my staying on, that my application wasn't great (true for most subjects) and he really just encouraged me to leave. I wasn't mature enough to deal with this, so told him okay. With that he pulled out my pre-prepared leaving certificate from his drawer and asked me to wait whilst he got the headmaster to sign it. And that was that. I left his office, walked straight out of the gates and never went back.

I passed all of my O levels, bar geology, which was a favourite subject and there's s story to that, I was already working at Waitrose in East Sheen and just continued, but working longer hours, I then found full time employment before quitting a year later to join Government and then local Government, where I stayed until I retired.

I didn't show any interest in art for years, I didn't draw or paint or do anything, until one day, coming home on the tube, 10 years after leaving school, I saw that there was an exhibition of the Pre-Raphaelites at the Tate. They were my first passion in art and so I visited and was hooked all over again. I don't do much myself, but love visiting galleries wherever. In Bkk, there are some absolutely fantastic galleries and great contemporary artists, some of whom sell direct at Chatuchak market. I also buy when I can, both here and from Cornwall, my main interest being the St. Ives modernists and contemporaries. Only the other day I took delivery of a small piece from St. Ives, dating from 1980. The artist died a few years back.

Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 04:44:50 PM »

Life's full of regrets!

But your question is an easy one for me. Once I realised that I was never going to be good enough to play for Chelsea, to my surprise, I was told I had a small talent for art. I was always interested in art, but from about the 3rd year onwards (as it was in those days, for a comp), I was increasingly interested in drawing and painting, so much so that my art teacher began really pushing me to consider art college. He always talked of Goldsmiths and I got an A for my art O level and was preparing to stay on for my A's.

But even before the results of the exams were known, I would still go into school to paint and draw and meet friends in our common room. One day, there was a message for me to go to see my housemaster. We had never really got on, I don't know why and when I met with him, he told me he basically thought there was no benefit in my staying on, that my application wasn't great (true for most subjects) and he really just encouraged me to leave. I wasn't mature enough to deal with this, so told him okay. With that he pulled out my pre-prepared leaving certificate from his drawer and asked me to wait whilst he got the headmaster to sign it. And that was that. I left his office, walked straight out of the gates and never went back.

I passed all of my O levels, bar geology, which was a favourite subject and there's s story to that, I was already working at Waitrose in East Sheen and just continued, but working longer hours, I then found full time employment before quitting a year later to join Government and then local Government, where I stayed until I retired.

I didn't show any interest in art for years, I didn't draw or paint or do anything, until one day, coming home on the tube, 10 years after leaving school, I saw that there was an exhibition of the Pre-Raphaelites at the Tate. They were my first passion in art and so I visited and was hooked all over again. I don't do much myself, but love visiting galleries wherever. In Bkk, there are some absolutely fantastic galleries and great contemporary artists, some of whom sell direct at Chatuchak market. I also buy when I can, both here and from Cornwall, my main interest being the St. Ives modernists and contemporaries. Only the other day I took delivery of a small piece from St. Ives, dating from 1980. The artist died a few years back.

Blimey Caller. Despite a shocking knock-back I hope your attitude is 'fek-em'. Look at the Turner Prize! Art is art. This year won by a film by a very 'butch' lesbian (this is not a criticism! good for her; her film celebrates being a gay Scottish woman).

I hope you take up pen, paint or whatever other medium you like. Being creative is important for mental health, as is showing your work to others. People worry about 'critics' but this really is not the case. You'll be surprised how valued your work and your creativity is. And if you do, please post some images here. I would love to see your work.

ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »

Life's full of regrets!

A wonderful insight , have you by chance watched the BBC TV series Fake or Fortune .
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 11:31:18 PM »

I'm not sure. I recall a series in the UK when I was still there where they tried to establish whether various art pieces were genuine or not and I very much enjoyed that, but can't recall what it was called.
Pages: [1]