Korat-Farang.com

Health Insurance - What do you Do ?

ken kenobie · 7 · 1814

Offline ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat
My past private health insurance company ( Thailand based BUPA ) only provided me with inpatient cover up to 500,000.00 Thai Baht , with that cover I all so had several past pre existing conditions listed on the policy document. As I had never had to make a claim in Thailand related to any of these past pre existing conditions in over 8 years , I asked if those documented pre existing items could now be removed . The answer was no. As the cost of private inpatient treatment is steadily rising in Thailand I wanted to increase my health insurance cover . So I decide to look for a new health insurance provider.  I eventually decided to go with an International private health insurance company . At 69 years of age I thought it would be a difficult task to find a company who would accept my application . When applying for health insurance I did tell this new company about my past pre existing conditions and how none of them had re occurred in over eight years .

So now I have new private health insurance with inpatient cover only ( no pre existing conditions ) to the value of 7 Million Baht  , and it only applies to my country of residence ( Thailand ) and my country of nationality ( England ) but includes any outpatient medical treatment related to cancer or on going dialysis . I opted to have a fiver hundred pound deductible for the cover , the monthly premium amount is around 9,000 Baht .

I did think about just self insuring and rely on my personal savings , but in the end taking into consideration my age and the rising cost of medical treatment , I went with a private health insurance company.

Just wondering what others here are doing when it comes to health insurance , is any one self insuring or like me paying a monthly premium for private health cover, or as in some cases hoping to rely on your original home country's health service provider.

Ken 

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Online rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
  • Solid Member
    • Rokits Pictures
In my opinion unless you are super rich private health insurance is the way to go. I only have a policy with 800,000 baht coverage and it costs me about 50,000 baht yearly at age 71. I figure if I have anything more serious I would fly back to the USA where I have free medical coverage as I am a Vietnam War veteran. I had my cataracts and prostrate cancer treatment done in the US. 

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
In my opinion unless you are super rich private health insurance is the way to go. I only have a policy with 800,000 baht coverage and it costs me about 50,000 baht yearly at age 71. I figure if I have anything more serious I would fly back to the USA where I have free medical coverage as I am a Vietnam War veteran. I had my cataracts and prostrate cancer treatment done in the US.

Ive read that one issue relating to self insuring which  may raise its ugly head is the fact that if you say need medical treatment or surgery which could in theory costs over a Million Baht , once you have hopefully recovered from that episode and you have taken the money needed to pay for that treatment out of your ‘’ self insurance ‘’ bank balance , what happens if in the future due to advancing age , you need even more medical treatment . How do you keep topping up the possible Millions of Baht you have all ready spent / will spend in the future. 

As a Vietnam War veteran , who served his country  , its only right that you should have access to free medical treatment.

Ken

★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Offline Herbie

Ken,
Which is your new company? I was in a group scheme with AXA but they cancelled it two months ago. Losing too much money apparently.

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
Ken,
Which is your new company? I was in a group scheme with AXA but they cancelled it two months ago. Losing too much money apparently.

Hi Herbie , let me dig out all the details and I will get back to you .

Ken

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
Ken,

Hi Herbie

The private health insurance company I have recently joined is called  Cigna Global Health Options .

which can be found at the link below .

https://www.cignaglobal.com/international-medical-insurance

Its a worldwide health insurance provider , but I dealt with its office in Scotland.

The company's web page outlines some health insurance options available for expats living abroad , the main options shown are for worldwide health insurance cover , as I don’t really travel that much and have no plans to leave Thailand I asked about options that don’t include worldwide cover and I was given information about their health insurance plan , called  The Cigna Close Care Plan, ( CCCP ) . So I eventually went with a CCCP plan , inpatient cover only.

The CCCP plan only covers you for the country you are resident in and the country of your nationality . The CCCP plan monthly premium cost worked out less than the other plans offering worldwide cover.  The are several payment routes available that offer a discount ( Monthly / six monthly / up front yearly payments ) I opted to pay monthly premiums that are automatically taken from my Thai bank .

A few things to note.

To apply for a policy one of the Cigna company sales people telephoned me at home and asked me to provide answers to a list of questions , mainly about my current health situation  and past health history including any pre existing conditions I had along with current body weigh and blood pressure , and if I was taking any medication etc . I was told that my application had to be approved by the head office , later in the week I received an email confirming that my application had be accepted and outlining the exact terms and conditions of the cover as shown on an attached pdf document along with a blank application form.  If I agreed to the policy terms and conditions and the monthly premium coast , I had to fill out and sign the blank application form and scan it , then send it back to them via an email . Several weeks later I received in the post a full printed copy of the policy details.

The monthly policy payments could be made in either USA dollars or Pounds Sterling.

As I don’t have a UK bank account , the monthly premium payments are taken from my Thailand bank account , which of course varies due to the currency exchange rate at the time.

I have not made any claims , so I cannot offer an opinion on that subject. But I did do some researching about the company , and over all the findings were positive.

I now have a Cigna health insurance membership card , that I then provide to any hospital should I be needing treatment and the hospital should deal directly with Cigna’s billing department .

I do have an email address for the Cigna representative I dealt with , PM me if you would like it.

Ken

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
I have been a frequent visitor to another internet forums Health and Medicine section , and learned a lot about health related subjects there , but its now becoming more intense to read other resident expat experiences that are related to the ongoing debate about private health insurance Vs self insuring . 

Some resident expats are convinced that self insuring and keeping a large amount of cash in your bank is the most sensible option. Others are happy to pay their monthly private health insurance premiums. 

What do other forum members here think about the private health insurance Vs self insuring debate or do you subscribe to the other option of just popping onto a plane and return back to your home country to get your medical issue sorted out there.

Ken