Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What would your No.1 snippet of advice be?  (Read 227 times)

ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat
What would your No.1 snippet of advice be?
« on: December 19, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »

I don’t often get to meet other foreigners where I live but I rode my mountain bike to the local 7-11 store, and there browsing the shelves was an obvious foreigner . I walked past him and politely said Hi. We ended up having a coffee and chat at a near by road side shack . It turns out he was from Denmark and had driven in a rented pickup from Pattaya with his new Thai girlfriend , with the idea of meeting her parents and he was here on a four week holiday . After chatting for some time it soon became plainly obvious that his knowledge of Thailand and all the possible pitfalls that can befall a new greenhorn was some what lacking.  Personally I originally went through a greenhorn period when I first arrived here, and looking back I wish I had met some one ,say an old timer expat who could have given me some tried and tested advice on how to avoid the many traps and snares that can catch an inexperienced newcomer out .

My first snippet of advice to any newcomer would be that old  cliché of , if you can’t afford to loose it , then don’t spend it  ::)

What would your No.1 snippet of advice be to a single male newcomer to Thailand  :)

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

dam12641

Re: What would your No.1 snippet of advice be?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 04:59:19 AM »

When selecting your lady, pay particular attention to:
"Where is your home village?" V important because this is where you will probably end up. Do you really want to live 12 hrs away from Pattaya or Bangkok?
"What are your family circumstances?" Unlikely you'll get a true answer but ask anyway!

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:17:42 AM »

When selecting your lady, pay particular attention to:
"Where is your home village?" V important because this is where you will probably end up. Do you really want to live 12 hrs away from Pattaya or Bangkok?
"What are your family circumstances?" Unlikely you'll get a true answer but ask anyway!

Over the years , especially while living in Pattaya I came across many resident expats who had gone down the well trodden path of first enjoying to the full what Pattaya had to offer , the ego boosting shout of hello sexy man, the endless attention received from eager young lady’s . Add to that the constant supply of cheap booze and the ever present opportunity of financially paying for female attention that you would have never received back home. Its an easy trap to fall into and some times only ending in tears and regrets. So some other things I would add to my snippet list would be .

Think very carefully about buying your new love any gifts  especially made of gold.

Don’t brag about what you have back home , or how good your pension payments are.

Don't make any promises you don't intend to for fill.

Don't go overboard with wining and dining ( your new love may feel uncomfortable sat in a posh restaurant ) .

Don’t believe or take for granted things you are told , there may be no sick Buffalo .

One sad thing I regularly came across while living in Pattaya was seeing a foreign man sat at a restaurant table across from a young Thai girl , there was very little conversation but a lot of smiling from the girl and an attempt to communicate by using comical hand gestures from the man. It was obvious that the Thai girl could not speak the mans language , or the man talk in Thai.

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 03:38:08 PM »

Ken you ask for a ''No.1 snippet of advice'' . . .

To the Man whose just met a Thai Lady - don't promise to buy, or buy, a property, unless it's a Condo in your name. Rent for 5 years at least.

That's the same as yours really - ''if you can’t afford to lose it, don’t spend it''.

Building a house in the Lady's village can be a mistake. But you have to accept, many Guys are quite happy living in the 'sticks' . . . . Even 12 hours away !

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 04:19:49 PM »

To the Man whose just met a Thai Lady - don't promise to buy, or buy, a property, unless it's a Condo in your name. Rent for 5 years at least.

That's the same as yours really - ''if you can’t afford to lose it, don’t spend it''.

Building a house in the Lady's village can be a mistake. But you have to accept, many Guys are quite happy living in the 'sticks' . . . . Even 12 hours away !

Your right Roger , but I just could not help my self  ;D

I wonder just how many members here actually do live out in the bush ,  do they like my self now realize and come to regret their decision not to live within easy reach of a large city . There are some benefits of living a rural life , but at the moment they don’t spring to mind. ::)

Ken

Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 04:39:33 PM »

Your right Roger , but I just could not help my self  ;D

I wonder just how many members here actually do live out in the bush ,  do they like my self now realize and come to regret their decision not to live within easy reach of a large city . There are some benefits of living a rural life , but at the moment they don’t spring to mind. ::)

Ken

Hi Ken,

I live next to Wing 1 so at the edge of the city. Takes me 10 minutes by car to go to The Mall. So not living in a rural area but ...... lot of noise of F-16's or parties at clubhouse Tiger Golf. I knew about the planes not about the parties, haha. Anyway I chosed with my eyes wide open. Just accept life and make the best of it. I have travelled all around the world and after living in this area for 12 years now it still feels home.

Robert

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 08:18:43 PM »

Robert , how I envy you being so near the shopping malls , I’m sure if I lived in your location I would spend a large amount of my time just wandering around the air conditioned places  ;D

Ive never heard of Wing 1 . So if you have traveled all around the world , and looking back is there another destination / country / place , that you think you could call home other than Korat? . Some where you visited and you often think about .

Ken

Ratsima

• Administrator
    • Out and About Thailand - Travel Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 04:24:01 AM »

Don't settle in Korat.

Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 05:29:04 AM »

Robert , how I envy you being so near the shopping malls , I’m sure if I lived in your location I would spend a large amount of my time just wandering around the air conditioned places  ;D

Ive never heard of Wing 1 . So if you have traveled all around the world , and looking back is there another destination / country / place , that you think you could call home other than Korat? . Some where you visited and you often think about .

Ken

New Zealand would be nr 1 on my list. Wing 1 is airforce base of Royal Thai Airforce.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 05:48:57 AM »

Ratsima - again. You gotta make the best of it M8  :)
Go and have a Xmas slap up and a chat at G&D - wish I could.
I REALLY miss Korat when I see that Xmas food on offer !
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Ratsima

• Administrator
    • Out and About Thailand - Travel Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 05:52:41 AM »

I’m sure if I lived in your location I would spend a large amount of my time just wandering around the air conditioned places 

That gets old really fast.

But, what else is there to do in Korat? Not much. I do try to make the best of it, but there's really not much to work with.

The loneliness and isolation are gut wrenching for me. I haven't had a conversation with an adult in Korat (other than my wife) for months and months. It's depressing.

Fortunately, I will be away from Korat over the holidays.

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 09:05:37 AM »

Don't settle in Korat.

And here’s me living out in the bush and dreaming of exactly that.

Ken

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 09:07:36 AM »

I’m sure if I lived in your location I would spend a large amount of my time just wandering around the air conditioned places 

That gets old really fast.

But, what else is there to do in Korat? Not much. I do try to make the best of it, but there's really not much to work with.

The loneliness and isolation are gut wrenching for me. I haven't had a conversation with an adult in Korat (other than my wife) for months and months. It's depressing.

Fortunately, I will be away from Korat over the holidays.

Even for me living out in the bush , the words - The loneliness and isolation are gut wrenching for me . Make me feel sad for you .

Ken

Pages: [1]