Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Buying wine in Thailand is a crazy thing to do.  (Read 130 times)

ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat
Buying wine in Thailand is a crazy thing to do.
« on: December 20, 2018, 09:55:42 PM »

As I’m sure many forum members are aware of the recent across the board rise in the cost of wine but I would like to say that I’m not really a cheapskate , as my wife will confirm when I hand over her monthly personal allowance of 2,000  Baht . I do like a glass of wine , but now due to these recent obnoxious price increases , I flatly refuse to buy any more wine ( except on my coming 70th birthday  :( ) .

I’m wondering if any other sound minded forum members have put their foot firmly down and now refuse to pay the crazy prices demanded for wine. If so what do you now buy as an alternative ?.

As a troubled teenager I faintly remember buying bottles of a whiskey and white wine mix , which I have gone and forgotten the name of  ::). Any one know of a similar thing for sale here in Thailand .

Ken

slimeball

• KFers in Korat
Re: Buying wine in Thailand is a crazy thing to do.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »

Was it called Clan Dew?

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 10:18:29 PM »

Was it called Clan Dew?

Thanks , That may be the one , just done a quick google but can’t find it , I will keep looking  :)

Ken

Ratsima

• Administrator
    • Out and About Thailand - Travel Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 05:21:54 AM »

Laughing Bird in the 1.5 liter bottles from Tesco. It's not really wine, but it goes fine with a meal. Just think of it as a wine-like beverage.

Look, we're living in Thailand and are forced to get used to all sorts of low quality crap. Drinking bad wine isn't that much of a stretch.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 07:11:29 AM »

Ken. I'm guessing you raised a few eyebrows when you mentioned your Wife's allowance of B2000 pm. Assuming you were serious, nowt wrong with that. If you pay for everything else, maybe supporting some Family and so on, that pocket money will buy Missis lots of market clothes, food treats, nail and hair care etc. when you're not around to shell out  ;D

But I know lotsa Guys incl. me who give Missis lots more ! No problem though.

As another 'sound minded forum member', I have decided to continue to buy wine, but make it last a little longer . . . The wine in Th. was 'cheap' until those swingeing increases. My Missis had a little B'day party a few weeks ago and the Restaurant gave us a bottle of 777 Nadin - I found a bottle at B345 but it's B399 in Tesco ? Quite an acceptable red.

Most 3L boxes are just over B1000 - that's 17 x 175 ml measures - at B59 each that's around £1.50 a glass - there are Pubs around you can pay £4 - £7 in the UK (outside London).

The wine ain't top quality but it's not prohibitively expensive IMO. The increases WERE annoying  >:(  But I suggest you forget 'Clan Dew' and indulge  ;)

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 10:03:19 AM »

Laughing Bird in the 1.5 liter bottles from Tesco. It's not really wine, but it goes fine with a meal. Just think of it as a wine-like beverage.

Look, we're living in Thailand and are forced to get used to all sorts of low quality crap. Drinking bad wine isn't that much of a stretch.

I can’t say that Ive ever seen the Laughing Bird in the 1.5 liter bottles at Tesco . So on my next monthly trip Korat , I’m going to take a look  :)

You sound a man after my own heart , when you say - Look, we're living in Thailand and are forced to get used to all sorts of low quality crap.

Ken

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 10:31:16 AM »

Ken. I'm guessing you raised a few eyebrows when you mentioned your Wife's allowance of B2000 pm. Assuming you were serious, nowt wrong with that. If you pay for everything else, maybe supporting some Family and so on, that pocket money will buy Missis lots of market clothes, food treats, nail and hair care etc. when you're not around to shell out  ;D

But I know lotsa Guys incl. me who give Missis lots more ! No problem though.

As another 'sound minded forum member', I have decided to continue to buy wine, but make it last a little longer . . . The wine in Th. was 'cheap' until those swingeing increases. My Missis had a little B'day party a few weeks ago and the Restaurant gave us a bottle of 777 Nadin - I found a bottle at B345 but it's B399 in Tesco ? Quite an acceptable red.

Most 3L boxes are just over B1000 - that's 17 x 175 ml measures - at B59 each that's around £1.50 a glass - there are Pubs around you can pay £4 - £7 in the UK (outside London).

The wine ain't top quality but it's not prohibitively expensive IMO. The increases WERE annoying  >:(  But I suggest you forget 'Clan Dew' and indulge  ;)

Roger , I have to apologise  :( the reference to my wifes allowance was my feeble attempt at humour and in no way reflects the real situation . The best thing that has ever happened to me was meeting my Thai wife .  Ive not been back to the UK for some time so I’m out of touch with the current prices for wine , the £4 - £7 is shocking !! .

As for indulging , that’s some thing I find difficult to try and do , the thought of paying silly prices for nearly any thing goes against the grain and my genetic upbringing , but and there all ways seems to be one , my wife keeps telling me to just buy it .  When we are out shopping I pick some thing up and look at its price , them mumble to my self , that's expensive while putting it back on the shelf.  I’m constantly trying to justify paying over the odds ( wine in question )  You would think at my age I would just do what my wife's keeps telling me to do , and just buy it.

Ken

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 11:54:22 AM »

No apology needed at all. When I first saw your post I thought about asking my Missis for a discount !

I'm just the same as you - I like value for money, look for special or sale prices and shop around. Missis used to live in the UK and she paid £20 for the dreaded 'Durian' once - I would have gone crazy at that  :o

Re. wine. Your Missis is right. This is wine Man ! Man needs wine ! That 'medium' sized glass at £1.50 is cheaper than Wetherspoons FGS !
Get a grip  ;)

And get some wine for Christmas - have a happy one . . .

Teessider

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 11:58:58 AM »

I used to get the 3l wine boxes but its poor quality stuff at 1000 bt per box and its blended with fruit juice. I stick to beer now even though thats rubbish as well.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Ratsima

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 12:01:51 PM »

I used to get the 3l wine boxes but its poor quality stuff at 1000 bt per box and its blended with fruit juice. I stick to beer now even though thats rubbish as well.

As Roger keeps telling me, make do the best you can.

So, I drink crap beer and crap wine.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »

For me the beer is OK. I really enjoy 'real ales when in UK but as soon as I get back to Thailand, the switch to Chang Classic is seamless, seamless  :D  And one of the best moments of the day - that first sip of gloriously cold beer at 7pm ish  8)

As for wine, being a cheapskate I've bee drinking cheap wine all my life and this stuff is fine !

I don't agree that the beer and wine are carp . . .

Ratsima

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 12:35:43 PM »

I don't agree that the beer and wine are carp . . .

I agree. Let me rephrase.

In "making do" I'm forced to drink beer that I don't like very much and wine that I don't like very much.

I could pretend to like the beer and wine that I can afford, just as I could pretend I like Korat.

But, I really hate being dishonest with myself.
Pages: [1]