Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 'It's going to be chaos': Thais to vote in February after eight years  (Read 75 times)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

''It has been an improbable pipe dream for the people of Thailand in recent years but finally, it seems, the country is set to go to the polls.

In just under two months, according to the country’s election commission, Thais will be given the chance to exercise their democratic right for the first time in eight years. The vote on 24 February follows four years of oppressive and undemocratic rule by a military junta, known as the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), which took power in a bloodless coup in 2014.

Many Thais remain sceptical that the long-awaited election – pushed back multiple times by the military junta on the dubious pretext that the country was not ready – will even happen, let alone do much to change the political structure of the country. Thailand’s notoriously heavy-handed laws around freedom of speech will also still be in place
.''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/27/its-going-to-be-chaos-thais-to-vote-in-february-for-first-time-in-eight-years
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Re: 'It's going to be chaos': Thais to vote in February after eight years
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 07:43:35 AM »

I'm not normally a fan of The Guardian, but this is a good article and is worth reading in full.  This is about the most concise report on the situation here and what has led up to the election that I have seen.  The Editor used the word 'chaos' in the headline, but the main tenor of the report is that this election will simply not be free and fair for all the reasons that most of us who live here know and are not worth repeating in this thread.  As we get closer to the Big Day, the usual events will take place particularly local vote buying - and only Walter Mitty would believe that this has stopped!  My marginal concern re 'chaos' is the aftermath of the election, as there are more people than I suspect the ju^ta thinks who will not vote for them, but who will lose anyway.  Will the barricades be manned again?  I don't somehow think so, but some form of 'chaos' then is unfortunately a possibility.  People will recall the head of the army not long ago declining to rule out another coup if necessary 'to stabilise the situation".
Pages: [1]