Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The nightmare begins - Day 1 – 42 Dead and 432 injured  (Read 351 times)

ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat
The nightmare begins - Day 1 – 42 Dead and 432 injured
« on: December 28, 2018, 08:25:35 PM »

Ive told my wife in no uncertain terms that am I not venturing out on the roads of Death over this period . :(

Forty-two people were killed and more than 400 injured in road accidents across the country on Thursday, the first of the “seven dangerous days’ of the New Year holiday.

Drink driving was given as the major cause.

A total of 420 road accidents were reported on Dec 27, the first day of the road safety campaign, with 42 deaths and 432 injuries, Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat said on Friday, citing a report from the Road Safety Directing Centre .

Drink-driving was the biggest single cause of road accidents, accounting for 37.62%, followed by speeding, 21.19%. Four out of every five accidents involved motorcycles, Mr Weerasak said. 

Bangkok Post

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1602410/day-1-42-dead-432-injured

ӃӃ
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: █ The nightmare begins - Day 1 – 42 Dead and 432 injured █
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 06:05:59 AM »

Ken that's horrendous of course, but I think the figure you quote includes only those that die at the accident on the day. It's hard to tie down the figures - on Wiki - the last WHO figure for road deaths quoted is for 2013, when 24237 people died on Thailand's roads - that's 66 per day, every day.

Somewhere else I remember seeing that 38 motorcyclists were killed on average every day. I agree with you - avoid long journeys within a few days of the the New Year or Songkran holiday traffic waves, (even though those days may or may not be particularly bad for road deaths).

I'm not sure about these stats but IMO it's awful EVERY day. ATB
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 07:41:17 AM »

Ive told my wife in no uncertain terms that am I not venturing out on the roads of Death over this period

You may as well stay home all year long. It's "the 365 dangerous days" in this country. Thais themselves admit it.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Nightmare on the roads - Day 4
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 06:21:00 AM »

Some interesting points from 'The Nation', reviewing the expected horror of road deaths at this otherwise happy time:-

''A total of 236 people were killed and 2,265 others injured in 2,194 road accidents over the first four days of the New Year holiday period’s “seven dangerous days”'' and ''Chiang Mai and Nakhon Ratchasima had the highest cumulative fatalities of 12 deaths each''

80% yes 80% of accidents involved motorcycles and 65% would seem to have occured on 'local' rather than 'distance' trips ?

''Of the accidents, 80.31 per cent involved motorcycles followed by pick-up trucks at 6.39 per cent. About 39 per cent of the crashes took place on village roads while other 35.29 per cent took place on highway''

As pick ups represent maybe 50% of total no. of vehicles, it's surprising that pick ups were involved in only 6% of accidents   ???

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361400#cxrecs_s
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 06:41:01 AM »

Some interesting points from 'The Nation', reviewing the expected horror of road deaths at this otherwise happy time:-

''A total of 236 people were killed and 2,265 others injured in 2,194 road accidents over the first four days of the New Year holiday period’s “seven dangerous days”'' and ''Chiang Mai and Nakhon Ratchasima had the highest cumulative fatalities of 12 deaths each''

80% yes 80% of accidents involved motorcycles and 65% would seem to have occured on 'local' rather than 'distance' trips ?

''Of the accidents, 80.31 per cent involved motorcycles followed by pick-up trucks at 6.39 per cent. About 39 per cent of the crashes took place on village roads while other 35.29 per cent took place on highway''

As pick ups represent maybe 50% of total no. of vehicles, it's surprising that pick ups were involved in only 6% of accidents   ???

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361400#cxrecs_s

Nothing ever seems to surprise me any more about Thailand , you have to scratch you head in wonderment and ask how can a nation and its people seem to accept that their citizens are being slaughtered on the blood soaked roads at a staggering and alarming rate , and still there's no one out on the streets protesting in their thousands to demand a change .

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

dam12641

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 06:41:58 AM »

"As pick ups represent maybe 50% of total no. of vehicles, it's surprising that pick ups were involved in only 6% of accidents"

That figure doesn't include the trucks that creamed motorbikes and then left the scene pronto.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:22:57 AM »

Hi Dam of course but 6% seems low ? I guess cars and buses might drive away from an accident too, (btw the 50% was just a guess).

Ken - as Anton posted - it's 365 days of horror - not just Songkran & New Year.

If Thailand wants to save lives the message needs to be about safer driving of motorbikes, on LOCAL journeys in town and country . . . EVERY DAY !

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
Re: Re: Nightmare on the roads - Day 4
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 07:43:13 PM »

Hi Dam of course but 6% seems low ? I guess cars and buses might drive away from an accident too, (btw the 50% was just a guess).

Ken - as Anton posted - it's 365 days of horror - not just Songkran & New Year.

If Thailand wants to save lives the message needs to be about safer driving of motorbikes, on LOCAL journeys in town and country . . . EVERY DAY !

People wonder why I don’t get out much , the thought of venturing out on the blood red roads  scares me to Death :o

Ken

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Nightmare on the roads
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 04:26:41 AM »

Ken - I know you're not being serious, but honestly, if when possible, you travel on main roads in a bus, car or pick up, (NOT a motorbike), avoid rush travel times and don't drink too much - you'll likely be OK.

Your comment here, as you know, is way OTT - ''blood red roads scares me to Death''. Calm down Dear !  :-\

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 05:27:16 AM »

Ken - I know you're not being serious, but honestly, if when possible, you travel on main roads in a bus, car or pick up, (NOT a motorbike), avoid rush travel times and don't drink too much - you'll likely be OK.

Your comment here, as you know, is way OTT - ''blood red roads scares me to Death''. Calm down Dear !  :-\

Ken is full of OTT statements, he recently posted....

A day doesn't go by when I don't get another email telling me an old friend from back home has passed away

I really do not think that other than social media anybody has 365 friends, let alone 365 friends a year dying!!

I expect he'll be telling us his father's name is Obi-Wan next ::)
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 06:12:11 AM »

Sorry Roger , yes my OTT outbursts are I think in part due to a combination of frustration and being cursed with an over active mind, along with having spent most of my professional working life being around and involved with theatrical people who by definition were constantly OTT . Like my old headmaster Mr Benson used to loudly bark when reading out my end of term report , Kenobie you must try harder.

Ken

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 06:32:45 AM »

A day doesn't go by when I don't get another email telling me an old friend from back home has passed away

I really do not think that other than social media anybody has 365 friends, let alone 365 friends a year dying!!

Derek , sadly last year 4 of my long time friends passed away due to age related health problem . My original post may have been some what misleading when I commented ‘’ a day doesn’t go by’’ , but it was not my intention to be OTT or flippant about several dear friends who had died.

And by the way , my father's name was Walter .  ::)

Ken

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 06:37:38 AM »

Derek , sadly last year 4 of my long time friends passed away due to age related health problem . My original post may have been some what misleading when I commented ‘’ a day doesn’t go by’’ , but it was not my intention to be OTT or flippant about several dear friends who had died.

Ken

4 sadly is to be expected at our age but 365 is a tad OTT!!!
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 07:11:58 AM »

Ken

4 sadly is to be expected at our age but 365 is a tad OTT!!!

Hi Derek , my original post may have been a bit skew whiff , to be a bit more precise  , over the duration of the whole of the past year ( 2018 / 365 days ) 4 of my friends passed away during that time frame . I’m sorry for any confusion that may have been caused  :(

Ken

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: The nightmare - 7 dangerous days
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 03:00:59 PM »

(Ken - same as your Mr Benson, my school reports had 'must try harder' as if preprinted on most lines. And summing up - the Form Teacher would add, 'Roger keeps plenty in reserve'. The cheek of it  ::)

Anyway - final gambit - a return to thread. If you travel on main roads in a bus, car or pick up, (NOT a motorbike), avoid rush travel times and don't drink too much - you'll likely be OK.

Truth be known - maybe if those dying later in Hospital after these 7 dangerous days, were taken into account, the figures would be well above this hullabaloo level, which is actually 'only' the same, as the awful daily average  8)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:05:28 AM by Roger »

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
The nightmare - 7 dangerous days
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 03:24:18 PM »

Deaths over the New Year holiday have actually gone up by 40 this year ! And Nakhon Ratchasima province was the worst . . . .

''A total of 463 people died and 3,892 others were wounded in 3,791 road accidents over the New Year holiday's so-called seven dangerous days (December 27-January 2), the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department’s Road Safety Centre announced . . . .  Last year's New Year reported 423 deaths and 4,005 injuries in 3,841 road crashes.''

''Nakhon Ratchasima had the highest fatalities with 25 deaths.''

''Accidents involving motorcycles accounted for 80 per cent of crashes.''

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361551
Pages: [1]