Korat-Farang.com

Getting vaccinated in Korat

Bob Mac · 58 · 1242

Roger, Thaiwolf, caller, rdrokit, ben, ridge runner and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Bob Mac

• Just Arrived
Has anyone had any success in getting a covid-19 vaccination at any hospitals/clinics in Korat?

Seems there are opportunities in BKK only, though I keep reading the Thai gov tells foreigners in the provinces to contact their local medical officers and local hospitals.

So anybody had any luck?

Online rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
  • Solid Member
    • Rokits Pictures
No. Maharat was giving shots a Central but they have stopped because they ran out of vaccine.

Online ridge runner

No, I was told by local hospital that one farang had the first shot in June, he has a yellow house book and got in before they changed the rules. Say my doctor for checkup Saturday and he is trying to get a booster since all he has is sinovac, I told him to let me know if he had any luck.

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
“Ministry Launches Vaccine Drive for Elderly Foreigners.”  Bangkok Post 23 July. 
Well done, the Disease Control Department, the Central Vaccination Centre, and the Foreign Affairs Ministry!  If you are a foreigner living in Bangkok or the surrounding 'Dark Red' areas it is probably relatively easy to get to Bang Sue Grand Station for a vaccination.  But if you are an elderly foreigner who just happens to live in the rest of Thailand, travelling to 'Dark Red' Bangkok and waiting with the crowds for a jab is maybe not such a good idea, particularly if there is no guarantee that you'll actually get the jab that day, quite apart from the difficulties and potential dangers of making the trip.
Frankly, I'm fed up reading about the special arrangements being made for foreigners.  The various ministries involved seem to have conveniently forgotten that one heck of a lot of foreigners, elderly and not, live somewhere other than Bangkok.

Offline Bob Mac

• Just Arrived
I registered with MedPark in BKK, have an appointment for August 7, apparently I'll get AZ as I'm 73. I am a bit concerned about having to go to a dark red zone in order to get the vax, and will wait and see how things go closer to the day, but it numbers keep skyrocketing I'll probably be cancelling. A bloody shame if that happens as I really do want to be fully vaccinated. Would be so much easier if I could just go to SUH.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I registered with MedPark in BKK, have an appointment for August 7, apparently I'll get AZ as I'm 73. I am a bit concerned about having to go to a dark red zone in order to get the vax, and will wait and see how things go closer to the day, but it numbers keep skyrocketing I'll probably be cancelling. A bloody shame if that happens as I really do want to be fully vaccinated. Would be so much easier if I could just go to SUH.

You will find an eerily empty Bkk and a well organised hospital. If you stay in your car, you won't really come into contact with anyone. I had the AZ vaccine last Sunday in Bkk at a different hospital and it was a well organised, well drilled process with social distancing at the fore throughout. It even took place in a separate part of the hospital, away from the normal toing's and froing's of hospital life. When in the room where the vaccinations took place, once seated, I didn't move until I left. The nurses giving the jabs, swept backwards and forwards in their protective gear. I had to wait about 6-7 minutes for them to reach me and then was told what time I could leave, about 30 minutes later.  When the seats were empty,  they were all wiped, with I assume disinfectant, then the next group were ushered in. I go back on 10 October for my 2nd jab.

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
  • No metropolis without Ironopolis
When I had my AZ jab in Teesside I was never seated at any point. Once inside the medical centre I was back out in 5 minutes and told to wait 15 mins before driving .
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
BobMac:  Interesting.  I don't wish to go to Bkk either particularly to Bang Sue Stn where it is certainly very crowded.  As an aside, did you try to register at SUTH?  I was intending to try to do so.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
When I had my AZ jab in Teesside I was never seated at any point. Once inside the medical centre I was back out in 5 minutes and told to wait 15 mins before driving .

But that's the UK Tees, you would expect it to work well and be surprised if it didn't. What Thailand doesn't  have are networks of Doctors surgery's, as per the UK.

Here, where paperwork is King, where  committees are needed to decide the size of paperclips, it's been a complete mess. Various apps that don't  work properly for registration are then scrapped, and decisions are made centrally that impact on everything, even life and death. Yesterday, the Governor of Samut Sakhon basically told his his employees to ignore Government rules about isolation centres, which as usual, require checks, a ton of paperwork et al. These are centres for people who can't self isolate at home for various reasons. The Governor simply said, if it will prevent the spread of the virus, just do it, take them. otherwise it's a waste of time,  or words to that effect. Good man. He will probably be sacked now.

The process for the vaccine here is cumbersome. This was my experience. You turn up to the registration area at the hospital, you fill in a form about yourself, illnesses, allergy's etc. Once that is checked, you go to a different area, where the paperwork is checked again and you are given a queue number (why can't this be done at the first desk?). Then you are sent to a  socially distanced seat and wait, eventually when there is room,  a group of you, dependent on queue number, are moved to another area.

There your blood pressure is checked and if okay, you are seated and wait to be vaccinated. Where I was, you remained in your seat until you left.  Nurses swept the room back and forth administering the vaccine. You then wait 30 minutes for any side effects to show and then leave. In total, the whole process took about 50 minutes and that's one reason why the vaccine rate is so slow here.

In Hua Hin, the local public hospital were great,  they reached out to over 60's farangs by opening registration centres in the local malls. They did all the registration directly on to their system and you walked away with your registration number and your appt. date, all for AZ. Mine was for the 7th July. But within days all their good work came undone when the vaccines didn't arrive or in numbers so small, that delay upon delay entered the system. No-one knows when more vaccines are arriving and the hospital openly say that.  It's now sinovac. of which CP (7/11, Lotus etc) own a 15%  share in. And the That Government keep ordering millions of the things,  despite the cost compared to AZ and the apparent inefficiency. There are still 2000 before me  in the queue if I had waited in Hua Hin. Not to mention the scarcity of AZ, so you get sinovac first and then 3-4 weeks later the follow up is with AZ. But will there be any as they are now prioritising the dark red zones. Then what? In Bkk, my follow up  appt  is in October, hopefully, that is realistic.

Online rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
  • Solid Member
    • Rokits Pictures
Even after a 2nd shot of AZ you are not fully immune for 8 weeks. So if you got your first shot today you wouldn't be fully immune for 3 months and who knows what the new cases would look like in 3 months. Just got to keep your head down and stay safe. Beginning to feel like a war zone.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Even after a 2nd shot of AZ you are not fully immune for 8 weeks. So if you got your first shot today you wouldn't be fully immune for 3 months and who knows what the new cases would look like in 3 months. Just got to keep your head down and stay safe. Beginning to feel like a war zone.

I agree about taking precautions regardless of being vaccinated. But one dose of AZ does offer protection of up to 76% after 11-14 days when the antibodies start producing and that will be maintained for 3 months. So better than a kick in the teeth! I don't believe any vaccine offers 100% protection.

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Hi,

just got a call from Bangkok Hospital Korat. They wanted to update me and I was told the following:

- Tomorrow come to hospital, register and pay. Price Moderna is Thb 1.650 per injection so for two Thb 3.300.

Vaccin will be available April or September 2022. I will forfait this option because of not even available this year. Hvae a family of 5 so come and pay for something only available next year is IMHO not the best option. Anyway I do not know what will happen next year. In case Thailand lifts entry rules for vaccinated persons I might go to The Netherlands and get my shots there. I am a patient in Bangkok Hospital so do not understand why I would have to reserve and pay for a vaccin. I am 75 and do not plan sofar ahead anymore. Will see what the future brings but they cannot make me crazy because I already am  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:48:50 PM by Robert »

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hi Robert, what a shambles. I had read that Moderna wouldn't be delivered until late 2021 or early 2022 but that's no good to anyone - it's needed now. I hope something else turns up soon and good luck to you. R
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline waterheart

• Forum Sage
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie
I did appointment on 23 July but they just posted that hasn't vaccine and waiting for call again.  :'(
Long live to long learn

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I will forfait this option because of not even available this year. Hvae a family of 5 so come and pay for something only available next year is IMHO not the best option. Anyway I do not know what will happen next year.

Best decision Robert. The general situation is still too uncertain at the moment. Anything could happen within the next 12 months. We also don't know what our respective embassies may finally come up with by next spring or next summer, for example.

I am a patient in Bangkok Hospital so do not understand why I would have to reserve and pay for a vaccin

My guess is that they want to sell it before buying it, in order to avoid any risk of remaining with useless leftover doses.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
There may be a surprise solution (have to admit ladies came to our house somewhere in May and wanted to register me but at that time not interested as I preferred Pfizer or Moderna)). Yesterday my wife was called by Oboto and was asked if I was interested in a free AstraZeneca injection. In view of the delay of Moderna I accepted. Will receive another call when I can go to The Mall to get this injection. I believe it when I see it  ;D ;D ;D

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Good luck with your AZ avenue Robert but I fear your doubts may be right. There's a lot of face saving talk about vaccine supplies from the 'Powers that be' but talk and appeasement doesn't fix the problem.

Just to add I'll be pleasantly surprised if for example, the UK manages to get vaccines in for distribution to Falang in Thailand - I get the impression that they are rather hands 'off' rather than 'on' these days.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
New site for foreigner vaccine; Mor Prom deletes appointments

"In life – as in vaccine registration processes – if at first you don’t succeed, try a few dozen more times. Following on the myriad plans to register people, local and foreigners for vaccines, many of which started and ended within days and suffered data leaks, site crashes, glitches (see the second half of this article) and near-constant confusion, a new vaccine site is launching in the morning.

ExpatVac.Consular.Go.th is set to go live at 11 am on the first of the month and serve as a Covid-19 vaccine registration website for foreigners in Thailand.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced the new vaccine registration site and said that on August 1 at 11 am it will go live and allow foreigners to register for a vaccine appointment. The website was developed in association with the Ministry of Public Health, the Department of Disease Control, and various consular affairs departments."

Officials say the details that many foreigners, especially those in high-risk groups, that had registered on the short-lived Thailand Intervac website will be transferred over into this new site as well. But ExpatVac.Consular.Go.th will be open to all expats who reside in Thailand and are over the age of 18. Unlike other programs that said open to all but only registered appointments in Bangkok, this site is said to include vaccine appointments in all provinces.
[/b]

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/new-site-for-foreigner-vaccine-mor-prom-deletes-appointments?

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Update

Yesterday wife was called by office Oboto. My first injection was available and it was ..... Sinovac. I replied thank you but no thank you. If I start than at least with AstraZeneca however still prefer Pfizer or Moderna even if I have to pay for it.

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Robert I'd suggest you have a go at this new avenue in reply 18 as a back up  :-\   ?