Korat-Farang.com

The Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

Roger · 9 · 422

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Some pics from a hot and heady walk from the wonderful Australian funded Museum above 'Konyu Cutting', (Hellfire Pass pictured) which was 'cut' in just 12 weeks I'm told, using little more than sledge hammers and cold chisels . . . . Pics also of the 'track' where there used to be wooden bridges (one or two of many hundreds) long since lost. The landscape might indicate how high the railway has climbed at this point, some 25 kms past the operable track at Sai Yok from KanC, (at Sai Yok, the railway is maybe 20 metres above river level but at Konyu it's very high).

My Friend's wife's Dad actually worked on the Burma Railway as a Thai 'volunteer', and I am reliably told, his wages were ONE satang a day  ???

I've attached a video that someone kindly added last year . . . showing the railway trip to Sai Yok over surviving wooden viaducts from the original track. I didn't make it this year - feeling lazy to catch the 06.07 departure, the 10.40 looked well packed with Thai tourists so I gave it a miss...... https://youtu.be/_Qz2u4j4yBQ

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:28:54 PM by Roger »
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Coolkorat

• Solid Member
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Great pictures Roger.

This is a visit I'd like to make; memory of what happened will begin to fade rapidly now the indiduals have gone. But like the concentration camps, it's important to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Thanks for the tweak CK, I'm quite surprised at the quality of some of the pics . . . .  (Konyu cutting particularly), from just a snapshot   8)
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online KiwiCanadian

I was lucky enough to walk through Hell fire Pass 2 weeks ago, did the short walk very inspiring. this is the history that must not be forgotten. a lot of people in the crazy mixed up world need to be taken to these places for a good history lesson and shown what happens when certain cultures want to reset the rest of the world.
I am afraid that this planet has some growing up to do and act responsibly as we go forward into the 21st century.
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hi KC - I was there 18th pm - did you get to see the Jap army engines at Kanchanaburi ? I was surprised to see they had been made in Glasgow by the 'North British Locomotive Company', probably exported to Japan around 1920.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
KC as you say, it is 'moving' to be there - just imagine those undernourished prisoners working 12+ hour days (or nights) in those conditions - the camp at Hintok where they were based was a 6-8 km walk - almost unimaginable.

Online KiwiCanadian

We got there on the afternoon of the 17th & on the 18th went to Hell Fire Pass in the am walked passed the Japanese museum after it had closed but saw the first Loco that you show, quite astonishing that they where made in Glasgow, one would have thought that Japan would have there own rail industry at that time, but I guess the expansionist military was to busy on war plans for Korea, & China at the time. so we missed you by half a day.
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I went to Hellfire Pass last November with my Oz brother in law and sister. Sadly, it was closed because of earlier heavy rain and the risk of landslides. You could walk to the entrance, but that was it. First time there, but 3rd trip to the general area. We will return when they are next here.

Offline Coolkorat

• Solid Member
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan