Korat-Farang.com

Driving licence renewal.

happylarry · 3 · 1265

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
Ive got no confirmation but it has been reported on another forum that there was a meeting this morning and it has been agreed that any farang using a yellow book and pink id card for renewing a licence, instead of going to immigration and forking out 500 baht tea money for a letter of residence, will now only get a two year renewal and not a five year renewal. Time will tell.
HL

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Ive got no confirmation but it has been reported on another forum that there was a meeting this morning and it has been agreed that any farang using a yellow book and pink id card for renewing a licence, instead of going to immigration and forking out 500 baht tea money for a letter of residence, will now only get a two year renewal and not a five year renewal. Time will tell.

My licenses will expire soon. This morning I was told this at Joho traffic department office:

- If I go renew my licenses with the yellow book only, I will get new licenses valid in our province only, 5 years
- If I go with a new residence certificate, I can get new licenses valid nationwide, 5 years

So it is not a matter of time validity but of geographical validity. The rule must be less than 2 years old and being applied also at Chok Chai traffic department. Can anybody confirm?
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
My licenses will expire soon. This morning I was told this at Joho traffic department office:

- If I go renew my licenses with the yellow book only, I will get new licenses valid in our province only, 5 years
- If I go with a new residence certificate, I can get new licenses valid nationwide, 5 years

Update:

- Last week I got new residence certificates from the immigration office, 2 of them (1 for each license), free of charge as I agreed to go collect them 3 days after applying for them

- Today I renewed both driving licenses at Joho traffic department. It took me a little more than 1 hour. I was charged 760 THB (505 for car + 255 for motorcycle). The validity is of 5 years and 7 months, i.e. from today until the date of my birthday in December 2026.

- I asked clarifications about the new requirement of having to produce a residence certificate rather than just the yellow book. They answered that, in case I didn't produce the certificate but only the yellow book, they would have added restrictions in the back of my license, similar to what shown in the sample photo I am annexing (which says that the license must be used in couple with the passport if outside the residing area).

Village idiots unwelcome here